Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooder  (Read 2553 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Cooder
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:12:54 pm »

So I've recently burned out on the niche-y internet only 'electronic music' that's sustained me for years. Sob sob me. Yet the quest for real adult-style jams that I can actually enjoy was proving tricky.

But while nursing a brew in JazzGuys recently and being a sadsack, the bartender put on Ry Cooder's Chicken Skin Music. I was hooked. I've got the discography now, and it's great stuff. While guys in the office have been receptive, nobody's been able to guide me further in this ill-advised direction.

If any of you bums are into old country/gospel/drinkin' music, would you point a man to a music?
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:22 pm »

I am having a straight-faced sincerity, if this is your concern
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:22 pm »

You could start with the people that Ry Cooder actually worked with.  Y'know, like Taj Mahal or Lowell George.  Or Captain Beefheart.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »

Thanks! Captain Beefheart ain't quite my speed, but I'm mining the Lowell vein now, and it's proving fun. Super-syncopated guitar slides are dreamy.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:23:25 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:49 pm »

Soon as I can, you're getting a miniature Snapple beverage-co. product.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:35:21 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:10:11 pm »


AW - Where do you stand on Jerry Jeff Walker? I always wanted to not find him annoying.

I really don't know his body of work.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »

OK then, Jaysus...

Syncopated you say?  Merle Travis it is.

A different Merle.

Marty Robbins.

The ol' possum.

Buck?

Roy?

String?

Grandpa?

Flatt and Scruggs?

Bill?

Bob?

Hank?

Red?

Jerry? (and Chet)

That oughta get you started.


I was just gonna say open up the great American Songbook and spend the rest of your life discovering the infinite varieties of flavor contained there. But this is a good place to start.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Cooder
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 03:56:07 am »

I had to look that up, and I have heard of very few of these guys or songs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cooder
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »

I had to look that up, and I have heard of very few of these guys or songs.

That's not really what I meant. I didn't realize the term Great American Songbook could only referred to those Tin Pan Alley guys. I meant more along the lines of what August posted. Start with Ry Cooder and work your way backwards to Steven Foster. Although you could do worse than getting lost in Tin Pan Alley.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up