Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: green tomatoes  (Read 4024 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
green tomatoes
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:23:51 pm »

Circumstances have dealt me at least 5 kilos of these things. I'm not a huge tomato guy, nor am I inclined to trust star-ratings on cooking websites, so do any of the culinarians among you have tricks for getting rid of green tomatoes?

Also, CSA cold has a peter in its mouth this year. I just wanted parsnips, dammit.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:32:49 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:30:36 pm »

My grandmother used to make "Green Tomato Catsup" which was ground up green tomatoes made into a sort of tart relish.  She used an old cast iron grinder that you bolted to the side of a table and I can remember cranking that mother til my arms hurt.  It was good stuff, I wish I had some now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:48:58 pm »

This looks pretty good! A cursory google search has revealed that green catsup (ketchup?) is the same as Québecois chow-chow, which I didn't even know was made with green tomatoes.

At any rate, it's a world of improvement from the green ketchup Heinz was making a couple years ago. That stuff was just terrifying.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:13:38 pm »

I'll be happy to take any unwanted tomatoes, green or otherwise.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »

I'm calling bullshit on any tomatoes that can make the trip from Canada to Texas intact.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »

And yet, something akin to the reverse journey happens often enough that I can get 'fresh' red fellas at the store in February.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »

Greenhouses?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »

Don't you notice fruit and veggies from Spanish speaking countries comes here with English and French written on it for the bros in Quebec?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:52:51 pm »

I'm calling bullshit on any tomatoes that can make the trip from Canada to Texas intact.

Me too, but still it's a nice thought.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:03:30 pm »

And yet, something akin to the reverse journey happens often enough that I can get 'fresh' red fellas at the store in February.

These sorts of tomatoes are bred precisely for their ability to ship well. Their actual flavor is a secondary concern at best.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:52 pm »

I probably should have scare-quoted 'fresh'.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:59:06 pm »

A former co-worker of mine was raised in the dankest depths of Tennessee, and the fried okra she prepared once for a thing is still in the top-ten foods I've ever consumed.

Maybe making some kinda buttermilk batter and frying up tomatoes and okra is in the future.

And, beyond the obvious deal with frying, is there anything particularly 'bad for ya' about frying tomatoes?
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 12:01:21 am »

Cooked tomatoes contain lycopene, which is good for the prostate somehow.  So FGT are health food, right?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:06:36 am »

I will consider jaydub a doctor if it means I get to eat delicious things.

A foremost doctor of doctorology, spoutin' double-blind truths and doctorologisms. If that's what it takes.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 01:04:14 am »

Ah, I had just wondered if there was anything specifically nasty about fried tomatoes in comparison to other fried nasties.

Yeah, I'm salivatin' too. But I have the advantage of knowing what I'll make for breakfast on my day off tomorrow. Thanks all.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up