Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NM  (Read 2928 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
NM
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:32:44 am »

Nelson Mandela died yesterday, a titan of modern history. I had been looking for something non-academic to read, so I picked up his autobiography, and am really enjoying it so far. As a young dude searching for his way in life, it is always incredibly powerful to me to read/hear stories of people's similar struggles in their youth. The Great Man was once 25 and wanted to help his people but wasn't sure how, and floundered around trying out jobs and political groups. He felt confused about how everyone else seemed to know so much more than him, and was sure he would never be so wise, and wondered if it wouldn't be better to return to his hometown and seek out a nice comfortable job. It seems like he figured it out eventually.

The fall of apartheid is one of those historical events, like the fall of the Berlin wall, that I was alive for but don't remember. Just reading about it makes me shiver. We can do things, sometimes.

I don't know enough about the guy to say more than this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:44:48 am »

He's definitely a titan of social justice.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:14:56 am »

CBC's one of the only outlets that has access to over 50 hours of taped conversation with Mandela himself.

The Mandela Tapes provides a great look into his life——it's one of the few documentaries that's managed to 'humanize' a figure so often lionized.

We can only hope that the future has room for such passionate and world-changing figures.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:27:51 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: NM
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »

The more I am reading, what amazes me is that he was the kind of person who could wage a war of bombings and sabotage, be imprisoned and (tortured? I haven't gotten there yet?) for longer than I have been alive, and come out a man of peace. Not bitter, not angry, ready to lead his people to a better world. Not because he had "renounced violence," but because he knew that he had won.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »

He's definitely a titan of social justice.
Mr.Mandela wasn't an innocent man. He advocated violence against his oppressors and did what had to be done.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:58:38 pm »

Mr.Mandela wasn't an innocent man. He advocated violence against his oppressors

I hope that is not what made him guilty?  That kinda sounds like the worst shit I've ever heard there, A-CAP.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:13:09 pm »

yeah mr. Cap I kinda don't think "being a titan of social justice" is at all mutually exclusive from "using violence to counteract a violently repressive and ideologically regressive government."

But don't worry, I fully understand the contrarian reflex——most of us have just learned to keep a handle on that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:42:25 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: NM
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 12:48:56 am »

I read it as a-cap agreeing with Paul. A titan does what has to be done. He was guilty but only of violating immoral law.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:25 am »

Mr.Mandela wasn't an innocent man. He advocated violence against his oppressors and did what had to be done.

The Union Army...histories greatest monster.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: NM
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:04 pm »

I read it as a-cap agreeing with Paul. A titan does what has to be done. He was guilty but only of violating immoral law.
Seconded.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up