Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: War on Christmas 2013  (Read 11091 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
War on Christmas 2013
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:01 pm »

This isn't really a war on Christmas thread unless you want it to be. No, this is just a regular old Christmas thread with a provocative title. Just call me the anti Upworthy.

So I thought I would kick things off with a Christmas song that even people who hate Christmas music usually like. It's the classic Fairy Tale of New York done by Calexico and Iron and Wine on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. The only thing not good about it is NBC felt the need to bleep Faggot from the lyrics. Oh brother.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:44 pm »

Saw that this morning, it's fantastic. I'm no fan of derogatory gay terms, but in that case it's just what the song lyric is and I think we should live with it. (Acknowledged, though, that as a straight person I'm in no position to tell gay people what they should or should not be offended by, but it's just my opinion.)

The War on Christmas is such a frickin' straw man. I have yet to hear of one actual verifiable instance in which someone actually said "You shouldn't say 'Merry Christmas.'"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »

Thanks for sharing that, Paul.  My favorite Christmas song hands down, and I love Hansard, Beam and Calexico.  That was just about perfect.  You'll find at least one tiny can in your stocking this year.

REVISED TO ADD: Played this for my wife last night and she liked it so much she cried a little.  She said it's funny how much better you can understand how happy and hopeful the song is, when not performed by Slurrin' Shane MacGowan.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:10:58 pm by Turbo Ninja »
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »

A very Brazilian Christmas: Saw an ad on a bus today: "Put some lingerie on your Christmas."
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:58:46 am »

So I thought I would kick things off with a Christmas song that even people who hate Christmas music usually like. It's the classic Fairy Tale of New York done by Calexico and Iron and Wine on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. The only thing not good about it is NBC felt the need to bleep Faggot from the lyrics. Oh brother.

I almost didn't click on this because I was sure anyone else doing this song had to be a disappointment. But while that woman is no Kirsty McColl, it was really pretty good.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »


ALSO: I never knew my favourite xMas tune had a location connection to the EggMan.

I did not know this.  Know who else was from Lexington?  This guy.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:47:06 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »

Dammit, Mayor, you wouldn't friggin' believe where I had to go to drag this out to you.
[i think it's a hoax]

You'd be right about the hoax part. Wikipedia on National Report: "National Report (nationalreport.net) is a satirical website devoted to often subtle parodies of real news which convince the unwary. It is published by Allen Montgomery.[1]"

The story is repeated verbatim on a couple of "genuine" news sites, but nowhere reputable. The story claims the student talked to CNN, but nothing about the story there. There is no Argon Elementary in SF; there is an Argonne Elementary, but the principal is not Paul Horner.

Fake fake fake-ity fake.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 06:20:25 pm »

I have one FB friend (my wife's cousin) who regularly posts shit like that, that reinforces his beliefs but is easily refutable. If there's a rebuttal on Snopes or something else easily attainable like that, I'll post it as a comment to his post.

He did have something recently about NSA shenanigans that did sound possibly genuine and distressing. But my thought was "If everything else he posts is bullshit, why should I believe this?" Probably should have alerted him to that fact, I guess.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »

I did not know this.  Know who else was from Lexington?  This guy.

That guy was the pitchman for... something, I can't remember now, a company in Houston anyway, for years. I thought he was local until he started making his corny ass movies.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »

That early Jim Varney stuff was oddly compelling. He endorsed a different product in every market, but made sure none of them were in direct competition with each other. I remember him shilling for Green's Ice Cream.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 11:53:39 pm »

Can someone please direct me to that custom artist thing someone (cort?) posted on our last gift exchange?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:18:11 am »

Thanks for that.

Also, this is the only correct way to watch this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=swZYMIdWMa4
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »

An actual skirmish: (although its from the other side of the debate)
The War on Christmas is such a frickin' straw man. I have yet to hear of one actual verifiable instance in which someone actually said "You shouldn't say 'Merry Christmas.'"
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 05:37:45 am »



Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up