Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: War on Christmas 2013  (Read 11056 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 06:02:49 am »

I've seen both of those a few times. The second one cracks me up everytime.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »

If a war there be, the Man Himself is ready to return fire

Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »

An actual skirmish: (although its from the other side of the debate)

I live in Salt Lake, and the majority of my colleagues are Mormon. I'll often hear complaints about the war on Christmas and stuff like that. But the majority of them are in sales, and ALL of them, unless they are talking to an established client, say happy holidays instead of merry Christmas. Funny how "PC" people are willing to be when it may have an impact on their bonus.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

chickenwang

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 10:07:36 pm »

Being that I live in the Bible Belt, Christmas has been as prevalent as it always has. However, one fellow employee insists on lamenting it's apparent destruction. I do my best to refrain from mentioning my status as an atheist.
Logged

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 10:22:19 pm »

How stoic.

To bring things out of godless heathen territory, you people got any recommendations for non-terrible Christmas music? If I'm feelin' sappy I'll give Bruce a go, and the Vince Guaraldi peanuts stuff is nostalgia in a CD case, but is there any other good non-ironic Christmas music out there that isn't 'fairytale of new york'?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:32:46 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 10:59:48 pm »

As far as I'm concerned "Fairytale of New York" is the reason for the season.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 11:05:27 pm »

esquivel made a phenomenal album of space-age bachelor pad christmas covers. it was retro-cool a while ago, so it'll be retro-retro-cool in another few years
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

chickenwang

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:47 pm »

How stoic.

To bring things out of godless heathen territory, you people got any recommendations for non-terrible Christmas music? If I'm feelin' sappy I'll give Bruce a go, and the Vince Guaraldi peanuts stuff is nostalgia in a CD case, but is there any other good non-ironic Christmas music out there that isn't 'fairytale of new york'?

Stanley Jordan's work always sounds like Christmas music, even when it isn't.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 12:17:42 am »

To bring things out of godless heathen territory, you people got any recommendations for non-terrible Christmas music? If I'm feelin' sappy I'll give Bruce a go, and the Vince Guaraldi peanuts stuff is nostalgia in a CD case, but is there any other good non-ironic Christmas music out there that isn't 'fairytale of new york'?

I can't help you man, I love Christmas music so I don't know how to listen to it ironically.v
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 12:19:09 am »

How stoic.

To bring things out of godless heathen territory, you people got any recommendations for non-terrible Christmas music? If I'm feelin' sappy I'll give Bruce a go, and the Vince Guaraldi peanuts stuff is nostalgia in a CD case, but is there any other good non-ironic Christmas music out there that isn't 'fairytale of new york'?

I'm on a steady diet of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Bad Religion these days. Also, if you like hip-hop even a little bit, Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis" might be the single greatest Christmas song of the modern age.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 12:42:43 am »

How stoic.

To bring things out of godless heathen territory, you people got any recommendations for non-terrible Christmas music? If I'm feelin' sappy I'll give Bruce a go, and the Vince Guaraldi peanuts stuff is nostalgia in a CD case, but is there any other good non-ironic Christmas music out there that isn't 'fairytale of new york'?

Father Christmas by The Kinks is the best Christmas song.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 02:04:43 am »

As far as I'm concerned "Fairytale of New York" is the reason for the season.

Someone give that lady a thousand cans.

It's the best one, and usually the only Christmas song I can stand aside from a few older standards sung by Nat Cole and a couple other dudes.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 02:25:57 am »

I love Christmas music

Okay, let me rephrase that. I love Christmas music, but there's a lot of really bad Christmas music.

I'm on a steady diet of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Trans-Siberian Orchestra are terrible. They are the music to an action movie starring Vin Diesel and The Rock who have to save the day when renegade mercenaries kidnap Santa. They've strapped a loose nuke to his sleigh and are attempting to fly it into Rockefeller Center.

Father Christmas by The Kinks is the best Christmas song.

That song, along with Christmas Song by Jethro Tull and I Believe in Father Christmas form a triumvirate I like to call The Worst Christmas songs of all time.



Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 02:26:33 am »

Don't get me wrong, 'fairytale' is great, and that iron and wine version paul posted awhile back gave me some seasonal chokes, but it's pretty much the go-to recommendation. Gotta soft spot for ol religious carols and stuff too.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 02:33:11 am »

Gotta soft spot for ol religious carols and stuff too.

I like the traditional stuff also. I like a lot of offbeat stuff too, but Christmastime is Here is my favorite.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up