Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: War on Christmas 2013  (Read 11059 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 02:29:01 pm »

How about The New Pornographers' Joseph, Who Understood.

I also like giraffebone's It's a Wonderful Life and Slick Nick, You Devil You.

Death Cab's version of Christmas Baby Please Come Home is pretty good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 02:47:33 pm »

This Post Secret item made me laugh out loud at my desk just now.
http://postsecretdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/shhh.jpg
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 04:47:26 pm »

I listened to that New Pornopgraphers song and it confirmed that I am so over the New Pornopgraphers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 06:51:33 pm »

I listened to that New Pornopgraphers song and it confirmed that I am so over the New Pornopgraphers.

Dammit, first Cort with the Doritos thing and now this. I thought you people were cool.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 04:10:27 am »

I don't agree with all of it, but here's an interesting list.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 04:27:23 am »

So I guess Vince Guaraldi's drummer on the Charlie Brown album is from my neck of the woods! Well, broadly speaking——poor ol' New Brunswick just can't catch a break.

The CBC also had an interesting radio piece where they interviewed him about the album's creation, but I can't find it anywhere.

Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 07:48:28 am »

So they turned Hallelujah into a Christian Christmas song about baby Jesus proving that this is an amazing song even when sung with trite new lyrics.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 02:25:37 pm »

I don't agree with all of it, but here's an interesting list.

"Raining Blood" is a Christmas song?!?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 04:33:34 pm »

"Raining Blood" is a Christmas song?!?

Who knew?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 04:57:05 pm »

Trapped in purgatory
A lifeless object, alive
Awaiting reprisal
Death will be their acquisition

The sky is turning red
Return to power draws near
Fall into me, the sky's crimson tears
Abolish the rules made of stone

Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

Awaiting the hour of reprisal
Your time slips away

Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding its horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood!


Sounds like a pretty pious holiday jam to me, if not a necessarily Christmassy one. Sounds more Easter than anything: A God descending to earth to be voluntarily dismembered in a grizzly fashion, and travelling to hell and returning to atone for humanity's horrific consumptive greed!

 Christianity is metal as fuck.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:01:34 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »

Christian Christmas song about baby Jesus

Oh man. Oh god damn. The existence of 'Liftbump' made me die a little, but in a funny way. But the death those revised lyrics caused, less so. The performance of the song was really nice though.

Also, the video's title claims that in watching it I will 'Literally Feel Christmas.' I suppose this invites all sorts of questions about the phenomenology of 'feeling' something in a literal sense, given the prevalence of sensory metaphor in speech n' all... I know, I know——we're all big grown up anti-prescriptivists 'round these parts, but the increasingly mainstream usage of 'literally' for purposes of emphasis still just gets my goat.

I'll get over it.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 07:22:31 am »

Here you go you jaded fucks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 08:52:32 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 09:21:52 am »

Two songs from Houston's greatest musical treasure Sam Lightnin' Hopkins.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: War on Christmas 2013
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »

Hey, merry Xmas. It's not my bag but I hope youse have a good time.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up