A thought experiment is imaginary. Colmore's suggestion is this: if roles were reversed, would you still have the same opinion?
A thought experiment must come from a thought. Not from a "thought", if you catch my drift. "Imaginary" doesn't mean "free from all obligations to a shared, consensual, verifiable reality". A thought experiment is a tool. It is only useful insofar as the conclusions drawn from it are actually useful to illuminate a certain question. If following a thought experiment from its premises to its conclusions doesn't yield anything usable, then the thought experiment is said to be "shitty". I'm gonna show it to you:
a) Due to 200.000 years of historical development, women have taken the active role in society, and thus dominate artistic portrayals in all the arts, including literature.
Question: Would I think it "strange" if women dominated the cultural discourse in that scenario?
Answer: No, because my knowledge of all the history that led to that current state of affairs explains to me why this is the case. I could still think it was unjust, but certainly *explainable* and comprehensible as the natural, logical result of the development of certain variables throughout a very long timespan. I might not *like* it, but I would not think it was *absurd*.
b) Due to a dunderhead event in which a super feminist cabal takes over the world, 85% of next year's cultural production gets to be centered around women.
Question: Would I think it "strange" if women dominated the cultural discourse in that scenario and I knew about that?
Answer: No, because a super feminist cabal took over the world -- that is, wrenched the state of affairs from its regular course, and I know about that.
c) Due to a dunderhead event in which a super feminist cabal takes over the world, 85% of next year's cultural production gets to be centered around women.
Question: Would I think it "strange" if women dominated the cultural discourse in that scenario and I
did not know about said feminist takeover?
Answer: Yes, because, unbeknownst to me, a super feminist cabal took over the world -- that is, wrenched the state of affairs from its regular course and took it to a direction so unlike what came before that it couldn't help but draw attention to itself.
Do you see already why poorly thought out counterfactuals might not be your best friends in a debate? The only way in which this "thought" experiment could have helped you is if, in our world, a dunderhead masculinist cabal had taken over society overnight -- that would justify feelings of resentment, injustice etc. --
But that never happened!. As far as we know, biological differences gave men a headstart in physical matters, which opened the way for everything else. Your analogy/scenario/thought experiment fails insofar as you're trying to use it to advance a point in a debate. If you're using it like one of those things you say when you're stoned that makes your pals go "Whoa", it's fine, I guess. This is not even
me talking, this is 2.000 years give or take of Aristotelian discourse: Poor premises yield poor conclusions. Poor conclusions muddle the debate. I can't make it clearer than this.
As for your other points, I'll wait to see how this post finds you. Your points are largely retreadings of a faulty argument, and it's a sad reality of debates that refutations are longer and harder to build than a faulty enunciation. I don't have that much free time, but I can be tempted.