Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker  (Read 20073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:02:38 pm »

It's like it's 2002 all over again.


Strip Link
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:38:40 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »

It's like it's 2002 all over again.

No we put the Strip Link in the first post even back then.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:23:08 pm »

Reading the Robb Report semi-tumescent. 

It's like the male version of Town and Country.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:48 pm »

YAAAAAAAAAY T!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:01:01 pm »

can't help but wonder if this is just some kinda reflection of Onstad's upward-lookin romantic prospects. Like I took enough classes in book-learnin that I know conflating art with artist is a sin, but—as someone here so eloquently put it—T is pretty much just Onstad in a stuffed bear suit.

Also, ima venture that "punk rock motherfucker" is probably one of the least quotable bits of what was, sadly, a fairly unquotable strip. It feels like the dialogue in these recent things is sometimes so obtuse it's verging on self-parody. Like, Ray isn't someone whose words I should have to reread twice to understand. Ray is a man of direct verbiage.

But ima stop being a cock
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »

Good to see the return of another female character defined 100% by her relationship to one of the males.  I love this strip, but it fails the Bechtel test miserably.

And hey everyone.  It's like old times.  Old times where I am not very good or consistent at online forums.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »

And hey everyone.  It's like old times.  Old times where I am not very good or consistent at online forums.

You just post any old way you want and the Good Lord God will provide.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:42:43 pm »

Good to see the return of another female character defined 100% by her relationship to one of the males.  I love this strip, but it fails the Bechtel test miserably.

Very true.  However, in defense of Onstad, he did create Ultra-Peanut, the greatest female character in the history of anything anywhere.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:59:53 am »

And in defense of interesting people everywhere, the Bechdel test is a dunderhead parameter with which to judge a work of art anyway.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 01:38:58 am »

I don't know that I completely agree. "Does this work meet the barest minimum of treating women like individuals instead of plot-advancing sex objects" is a pretty good parameter for something made in 2013. The lady herself has said that she is not thrilled about the popularization of her flippant remark as a Test that things have to pass, but it's still a legitimate thing to consider.

Ugh now I feel like my roommate's girlfriend who has to ask, every time she hears a band, if they are all white males.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 01:47:40 am »

I think the Bechdel test is, at least, a good line of defence against people who think real life should be more like Mad Men.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:23:24 am »

The Bechdel test is concerned with only a specific subset within the many parameters with which a piece of fiction can be appraised, so it can't help but being limited by its own narrownness in its ability to tell us whether a piece of fiction is good or not. The Bechdel test can only tell you that a piece of fiction passed the Bechdel test or not. It will not tell you anything about all other aspects that we have learned to use to judge a work of art (harmony, unity, rhythm, psychological maturity etc). Since it's possible that a work of fiction can fail the Bechdel test (because, for instance, the author committed the unspeakable sin of making *its protagonist male*) and still be good fiction, it seems to be fairly useless as a general appraisal tool for me.

What I mean is there are richer approaches. What I mean is, yeah, don't be like the lady who asks if all the band members are white males.

Also, before everybody starts telling me to check my cis privilege or whatever is the parlance of the times, I must point out that the question of the test's utility is disputed within the very academic environment where it thrives. The encyclopaedic knowledge pipes in:

Quote
"The Bechdel test only indicates whether women are present in a work of fiction to a certain degree. A work can pass the test and still contain sexist content, and a work with prominent female characters can fail the test.[2] A work may fail the test for reasons unrelated to gender bias, such as because its setting works against the inclusion of women (e.g., Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, set in a medieval monastery).[3] For these reasons, the Telegraph film critic Robbie Collin criticized the test as prizing "box-ticking and stat-hoarding over analysis and appreciation", and suggested that the underlying problem of the lack of well-drawn female characters in film ought to be a topic of discourse, rather than films failing or passing the Bechdel test.[26]"
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 03:27:23 am »

I feel like this test is only ever mentioned in the context of crap Hollywood movies and TV shows anyway, not "works of art."

I think it's fine if Onstad sticks to writing the characters he is good at. I have never felt that what was wrong with the strip was that it didn't have enough characters of my gender.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 03:30:48 am »

(But mostly I'm just incensed at the utter devastation that sociopolitical-oriented thinking has inflicted upon independent, personal, critical reading capabilities, where the diversity and complexity of relations within a theoretical space is replaced by myopic "box-checking and stat-hoarding", to use the article's words).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 12.13.13 Punk rock, motherfucker
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:08 am »

I feel like this test is only ever mentioned in the context of crap Hollywood movies and TV shows anyway, not "works of art."

I think it's fine if Onstad sticks to writing the characters he is good at. I have never felt that what was wrong with the strip was that it didn't have enough characters of my gender.

I find myself agreeink with you here, in both points.

So in a way the Bechdel test even makes some sort of perverted sense, like a crude, but necessary tool with which to ward off the worst offenders? "This is pop crap, so there's a chance that it was written by people who may not be the most mature specimens, so perhaps I need a shortcut to see if this is worth my time" (I should have caught that when the woman in the last panel in Bechdel's strip says that the last film she was able to see was "ALIEN". A good film and all that, but hardly your Tarkovsky or Godard-grade flick).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:32:32 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up