Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOF 2014 Voting  (Read 3074 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
HOF 2014 Voting
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »


Frank Thomas

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:47:32 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »

Are there any glaring omissions in the Baseball Hall? I don't follow it too closely so I have no idea. I'm excluding Pete Rose from this argument because of the extenuating circumstances, but are there any controversy free players who should that aren't and vice versa?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »

A lot are in that maybe shouldn't be.  Don't think anyone too controversial out, but I think that will change soon.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:18:57 pm »

The sports blog Deadspin flat-out bought a HoF vote this year, and they've opened up polls to their readership to vote. Kind of awesome, if you ask me.
http://deadspin.com/who-should-be-in-the-baseball-hall-of-fame-vote-now-1476310675
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »

The sports blog Deadspin flat-out bought a HoF vote this year, and they've opened up polls to their readership to vote. Kind of awesome, if you ask me.
http://deadspin.com/who-should-be-in-the-baseball-hall-of-fame-vote-now-1476310675
I voted for Mattingly and against the PEDo's. I have more donny baseball memorabilia than all other sports crap combined because he was my dude when I was small... If he goes in the HOF I can cash in!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

Man I totally voted for McGwire, Bonds, Clemens and Sosa.

Yeah, PEDs are widely viewed as cheating now. But during the McGwire-Sosa home run chase, anyone who suggested that maybe these guys were juicing was dismissed as a killjoy. I find it hypocritical that people who thought that was so awesome and saved baseball back in the day are now all high and mighty about it. At the time, they were just giving the people what they wanted. You want an asterisk next to Bonds' records? If so, add it with your mind, most other people will think of it as well. But PEDs or no, those guys did some amazing stuff. Put 'em in the Hall.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »

I have nothing against PEDs themselves. I think they should be legal and available, but I also believe games are nothing without rules and there is a difference between rewarding performance and honoring a player. Would you support allowing players into the hall if they used corked/doped bats? Gambled on games? Threw games? Doctored balls? What if a player put on a jet pack and flew around the bases? Games are literally defined by their rules and what they did was outside the game of baseball.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:03:05 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:13 pm »

Yeah, PEDs are widely viewed as cheating now. But during the McGwire-Sosa home run chase, anyone who suggested that maybe these guys were juicing was dismissed as a killjoy. I find it hypocritical that people who thought that was so awesome and saved baseball back in the day are now all high and mighty about it.

Really, they saved it? I quit watching baseball because of those clowns. Between juiced players and juiced balls they stole the homerun record and ruined the game. Baseball used to be my favorite sport, but guys like me who love great pitching are shit out of luck. I realize that I'm in the minority on this point and nobody gives a fuck about integrity anymore anyway.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:49 pm »

I think Selig speaks for himself on this issue, but I posted this as a PSA to all men on this board. This is what you look like when you buy a suit off the rack without even a basic sizing and tailoring. You look silly. I get mine done by a fellow Hungarian who has done my suits and shirts for years. He charges less than a 20 to make me look professional. Bud can buy that kind of not caring. You can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj8MQLQrvgI
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »

Looks like he either lost a lot of weight, or he's wearing his dad's clothes.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: HOF 2014 Voting
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »

Listen, there's all kinds of interesting shit going on with the ballot but I want to weight in on one thing:

Frank Thomas finished his career with a Golden Mean slash line (.300 AVG/.400 OBP/.500 SLG) which is a very rare (Chipper Jones is the only other post expansion player to do it) and inner-hall kind of thing. If he doesn't go in first ballot I am fuck*ng done with following this stuff.

I'm really glad Thomas got elected. I worshiped the guy back in my card collecting days. And hopefully it paves the way for Edgar. 2015 almost certainly won't be his year, but I'd love to see him get inducted with Griffey in 2016.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up