Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2014  (Read 7384 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 07:40:42 am »

I don't understand how this one particular roommate of mine can want to have big parties, and also be the kind of person who throws temper tantrums about people not leaving when he wants them to. You gotta ride the wave dude.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 01:33:04 pm »

I was afraid to say this before it really ended in case I got hit by a truck coming back from dinner, but 2013 was not one of those years where I said "fuck you good riddance." It got off to a very bad start but by the end I was back on track for what I want to accomplish.

Of course, from a bad start it's easier to go up.... now we'll see if I'm just set up for disappointment this year.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »

I got some flared-up wisdom teeth pulled a few days ago, so I spent NYE eating soft foods on a lot of pain medication. 2013 was also a pretty crud year in a lot of respects, so I'm excited to see it go, and hoping to make 2014 something different.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:03 pm »

hey my 2013 was a pretty damn good year. i hope your 2014 is at least as good as my 2013 was. and i hope my 2014 is even better still.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 08:21:03 pm »

2013 started off with such potential and then just slowly petered out into a mess of things that I tried to start where other people dropped the ball.

Jobs, relationships, creative projects, blah.

2014 started with my ma yelling at me not to go to the poetry open mic tomorrow because it's only encouraging me to not go to grad school for no good reason.

No "happy new year" no "oh your awful cold is sounding a little better" just starting the fuck right in.

I hate living like a fuck*ng child, I hate being stuck in this fuck*ng town, I hate having no money, I hate having no day job, I hate having no lady in my life.

The end of 2013 was fuck*ng awful on a scale of my own personal tolerances and experiences (I realize that in reference to others' lives I'm blessed, we only work off our own contexts emotionally, though) and 2014 started appropriately.

Being lectured like a teenager while sick as a dog.

Lovely.

fuck*ng lovely.

Happy New Year!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 2014
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »

I got black-eyed peas cookin' on the stove!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 11:16:24 pm »

Last year was pretty good.  I achieved a lot of personal goals, including a professional one that I've been chasing for years.  I was largely responsible for guiding a group of young lacrosse players to a season record they can be proud of. Most of them are returning this year, so in addition to winning, they had a good time.  Both my kids remain healthy and are growing each day both mentally and physically.  My daughter has gotten the message that service to others feels pretty good and is worth doing for its own sake.

A solid year - one I hope represents the meat & potatoes of my life.  There is a lot of room for improvement.  I'm dealing with the things I can control, and trying not to sweat the stuff outside of my control.  If I can reduce the amount of time I spend pondering the imponderables I think my personal happiness will be better this year. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 11:18:26 pm »

LFM you have my permission to feel not particularly blessed about your situation. Also unless your mother is offering to pay in full for you to go to grad school, tell her I said she can shut the fuck up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:26 pm »

2013 was fairly decent. It was the first year in which I had an established, for real, job that I can be proud of, and I got two sweet gigs (James Joyce and now Alice Munro). Any year in which a 36 year-old man finally gets to live by himself is a good year. There was a long patch of excruciating Emotions concerning a young lady, but that was really my own stupid brain's fault, and I think I crawled out of it slightly better.

I'm just hoping 2014 doesn't make any sudden moves.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2014
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »

I didn't realize it as it was happening, but 2014 started with me forgetting to apply to the University of Illinois in Chicago. For some reason on my mental calendar I had the deadline wrong. It was yesterday. The only thing I am sad about here is that this means I won't be living in the Midwest. Chicago seems cool in its own way and I liked the idea of turning my feelings for that place on their ear. So now I will be bound for a coast.

At our party I talked to a very nice dude who is an architect, who is applying to urban planning programs as well. He told me I need to chill out, and that I am overestimating how talented/intelligent/experienced my competition are.

Then again, he is my competition. A guy a few years older than me with a relevant background and lots of relevant experience.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 05:14:55 pm »

I'm just hoping 2014 doesn't make any sudden moves.

Probably the only thing we can be sure of is that it will. Maybe they won't all be bad ones.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »

He told me I need to chill out, and that I am overestimating how talented/intelligent/experienced my competition are.

I am positive this is true.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2014
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »

I am certain that I would be a great planner, and that I am smart and good enough that I should be accepted. What I am not confident in is that I have demonstrated that worth. I think a lot of my peers are much better than I am at selling themselves, and getting out there and doing actions. I am friends with a lot of people who are the type of people who apply to graduate school, and they are all much more invested in their fields than I am. Overachiever types. That is who I imagine my competition as. When I tell people where I went to undergrad (who have heard of it) they assume I am just an overachiever with some kind of "I'm never good enough" mentality. No. I am an underachiever who pulled off getting into a nice, expensive college.

The good news for me (and bad news for society) is that I have studied a lot of things which indicate that white guys with rich parents and degrees from fancy colleges get a lot of second chances in life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

I think a lot of my peers are much better than I am at selling themselves,

And unfortunately, that is important.  But if you can learn other new things, you can learn to be good at this too, right?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:21:40 am by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »

I have studied a lot of things which indicate that white guys with rich parents and degrees from fancy colleges get a lot of second chances in life.

Hooray for you then.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up