Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014  (Read 8558 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 09:31:57 pm »

"Punk" has meant about at many things over the years as "Rhythm and Blues" has.

The earliest scenes that were called punk by the people that were there at the time (and not retrospectively), New York and Manchester, had a really diverse array of bands.  Classic punk immediately brings The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Dead Boys to mind, but it also had Patty Smith, Television, the Soft Boys, Joy Division, the Talking Heads, and others that don't fit the paradigm so neatly.  Punk was a reaction against the popular music of the late 70s, but that doesn't mean it was a total break.  And in my experience, musicians themselves have wider ranging tastes than their fans.  I bet if you were to take a poll of everyone whose band played CBGB's between 76-81 (to pick a kinda arbitrary range) and asked for opinions on Led Zeppelin, the results would be mixed.  I mean, before punk there wasn't much punk for the punk rockers to listen to.  Their record collections in 1975 had to have more than Iggy Pop and the Velvet Underground in them.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:08 pm »

It seems like there is some logical fallacies going on here. Are we talking about bands that played at CBGB's in the 70s? I thought we were talking about Penny, who, based on the armband she wears, loves the Ramones, and who also, based on her disparaging statement, doesn't care too much for Led Zeppelin.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »

We WERE talking about Penny, but then I started talking about what I wanted to talk about, duh.

There's no blanket statements to be made about what a 2014 punk will listen to.  I was once at a punk house show where after the bands quit playing and everyone was drunk, someone's 90s mix on their iPod got plugged into the PA and drunken dancing to "What if God Was One of Us" commenced.  And yes, you have to be heroically drunk to dance to that song.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 02:15:44 am »

i was actually at a 'good punk show' last night. I dunno if history was respected very much, but it was in a squat house basement with a band called 'asian dad black baby' and there were good saxophone solos.

that said, i have nothing to contribute
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 05:28:01 am »

i was actually at a 'good punk show' last night. I dunno if history was respected very much, but it was in a squat house basement with a band called 'asian dad black baby' and there were good saxophone solos.

that said, i have nothing to contribute

punx with saxaphone solo
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 05:49:24 am »

Parents wouldn't spring for guitar lessons.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 11:41:54 am »

It's people going "this music sucks, we need to make better music" and then it's normal for the music they think is better to be as different as they can make if from the music that they think sucks

+1
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 01:00:00 pm »

That FEAR song is great. The intersection between punk laziness and free jazz sax squawks seems like a fertile musical vein to mine.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up