Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Normcore"  (Read 3102 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 02:06:25 pm »

fashionistas dressing like me, about time they hitched their star to my wagon
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »

the internet always makes a big deal out of "trends", but i never see legit fancy or fashion-y people in my day-to-day life.  occasionally when im in actual portland running errands/having a date with my wife.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:44 pm »

none of the people in the slideshow look 'normal' at all. 'normal' people don't wear a deliberately tacky gumbo of soiled running socks and extra-short faded jean shorts. It's like they're dressed as a parody of what they think the 'uncultured' class dresses like, which is problematic for a whole host of reasons.

Around here, dressing 'normal' means some mall jeans and a beer t-shirt. maybe a pair of rubber boots.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:49:23 pm »

I guess the real problem with this article is that it lacks a real focus. 'Not wanting to stand out and draw attention to your clothing as an indicator of coolness' seems entirely at odds with 'deliberately appropriating tacky and unfashionable pieces of clothing in order to stand out'.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:39 pm »

Haha, Western culture is exhausted.

As someone who lives in the one of the world's cultural peripheries I approach this with the slack-jawed   expression of the country bumpkin hearing about the last fad from the capital; still, this whole thing about western culture eating itself at increasingly rapid rates with increasingly diminishing returns is fascinating to watch. On the purely economical side, a friend of mine remarked that it could as well be that young americans and money aren't in talking terms these days and may have found a way to reconcile budgetary constraints with self-expression (I don't know about that). And it's not that I don't agree in part with some of the reasoning behind this thing (like, I also am a bit annoyed by the idea that when I enter a room my clothes will have a fuck*ng class war for supremacy with the other clothes in the room), but I don't think that the concrete manifestation of that should look so fuck*ng grubby, I can't do it. The guy saying the other day he went out with a fanny pack is just *begging* for a box in the ear.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »

A hipster by any other name would still smell like so much bullshit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:26:44 am »

I smell like sweat, weed, cigarettes and sandwiches.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:40:21 am »

"Just like me, this bus-stop hobo is wearing wal-mart velcro runners and a seinfeld windbreaker, but I know my toussled look takes hours in front of the mirror, and I'm cripplingly self-aware that i'm doing it for the 'right' reasons".

I mean, I sorta enjoy clothing and 'looking good' and everything, but I think the neverending Penrose mall escalator that is 'keeping up with the fashions' here in N. America is by & large the reason why I started just wearing black jeans and solid-color tee shirts.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:51:03 am by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: "Normcore"
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 12:52:16 am »

What kind of crazy bubble do you have to live in to come to the conclusion that "normal" people don't tie their shoelaces?

Quote from: Sean Monaghan of Beacon's Closet
“Normcore, yeah. My friends did that. They do K-HOLE... People call it ‘Bardcore’ too. Like Bard the school. It’s funny.”

This has to be someone taking the piss. It's too perfectly crafted; I can hear the calculated tone of disinterest so clearly in my head.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up