I've done something similar to that. I don't unfriend, I unfollow, but it creates the same effect. That is, I don't see their post, which is really what I want. Basically, when I encounter a post I don't like I evaluate the person. Sometimes I look at their wall to see if bad posting is their stock in trade or is this a one time bad posting. I'm quick to give the ax to political posters, be they from the right or the left. I'm more tolerant of the religious posters, but some of the dippy hippies had to go. People that never post anything original get gone fast. Most of the people that post about sports are also political posters so I killed two birds with one stone there. My quickest unfollow trigger is for the dummies. But most of them fall into one the other categories. In other words, I'm likely to unfollow you if you mainly post political stuff, unless it's presented in an intelligent manner. I actually have a few friends like that. The rest had to go. I won't unfollow anyone that post mostly personal stuff, even the ones that post a constant barrage of newborn pics. That is unless they are obnoxious about telling me how adorable their little spawn is. I've two married friends, married to each other and I had to unfollow one of them because between the two of them it was a flood of baby pics and smarm. I unfollowed her by the way because, well, quite frankly she was the worst offender, but also because she is super good looking and he, in addition to the baby pics were often pics of her. So it's a trade off. Ha ha... I've unfollowed anywhere from a 1/3 to half of my contacts and Facebook is a much more hospitable place.