Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th  (Read 17070 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

Hey kids,

The server that currently hosts this site is dying and expensive to run. I'm moving it to a VPS on the evening of Monday, 28 April. I expect the site to be completely down while this is happening, although I won't transfer the DNS and database until just before it should be ready to roll.

I'll update this topic when the work is about to happen, although of course by that time you won't be able to read it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »

This is terrifying. Is there an appropriate deity to supplicate to ensure the success of this move?

Seriously though thanks for keeping us alive.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »

Well, I do have an Amazon wishlist and my birthday IS on Saturday, so...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/2BIGZX73EUPWO

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:43:48 pm »

Well, I do have an Amazon wishlist and my birthday IS on Saturday, so...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/2BIGZX73EUPWO

Needs a ship to address on there, daddy-o.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »

You want an ocarina?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:09:13 pm »

You want an ocarina?

Jough works in mysterious ways.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:32 pm »

Needs a ship to address on there, daddy-o.

Oops. Fixed. But I was (mostly) joking about the Wishlist thing.

Anyway, hopefully I won't break the boards on Monday.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:36 am »

You want an ocarina?

Hubby once got an ocarina for a kid we where going to be spending Christmas with, he we a pretty impish kid to begin with, but he was disappointed with getting a weird flute thing, though he was as polite as a disappointed kid can be about such a thing.  But then later, he ran into the room my hubby and I were in, put it to his mouth went "toot, toot, toot" then farted hard and loud and ran back out. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:31 am »

regretting getting rid of all your vinyl, huh?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:08:46 am »

Vinyl is fun. I actually bought my wife a record player last year and then got into vinyl collecting again myself. Plus, you know, I'm a fuck*ng hipster.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:26:28 am »

fuck*ng hipster.

you mean like, youre into pube dreads?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 06:23:06 pm »

Oh God damn it, now I know there's a translucent blue vinyl pressing of the TRON soundtrack.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:01:56 pm »

This is going to happen tonight instead, as travels kept me away longer than expected yesterday and setting up the site was slower than expected.

Game plan is:

* Put Touamb in "maintenance mode"
* dump/restore the database
* remove maintenance mode on the new server
* switch DNS over to the new server
* profit

Just kidding. There's no profit. Anyway, with the new setup I should be able to ignore the board for many years to come, and future migrations should be faster if needed due to modern things like ansible and cloud whatever and blah blah blah.


jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:02:54 pm »

Do people even use this thing anymore?

Should I even bother?

I'm fine with footing the bill since it's not much of a bill, and what I mean by "ignore the board" is just that - I need it to just run without me having to babysit it regularly, especially since I now have two actual babies to take care of.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 09:06:10 pm »

There's like 8 of us?  This is literally the only place on the internet I go regularly any more, so I like it? 

It runs in and runs out, ya know.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up