Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th  (Read 17041 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:14 pm »

Do people even use this thing anymore?

YES. Please don't make us have to use Facebook.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 09:14:05 pm »

Fair enough.

If I can get this party started soon, then, I'm going to (in case something goes wrong - this current server will be shut off tomorrow sometime so there's nothing like the last minute...).

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 03:23:12 am »

So that sucked. But we're back up now. I was hoping to "just" convert the database to PostgreSQL, but alas, I ended up giving up and installing MySQL on the new box.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

At some point I should upgrade us to a more recent version of SMF too.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 04:21:50 am »

At some point I should upgrade us to a more recent version of SMF too.

Would an upgrade make the board responsive on mobile devices?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 11:55:21 am »

Would an upgrade make the board responsive on mobile devices?

Probably?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 12:34:47 pm »

WE LIVE!

Thank you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 12:44:53 pm »

Huh. I can't get to the board on Firefox, I keep getting the message about the old server. I cleared the cache, isn't that what you're supposed to do? I'm having to use stupid Chrome.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 02:18:06 pm »

I'm fine with footing the bill since it's not much of a bill

You need people to chip in? The "Tip Jar" link up there is broke.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 02:34:38 pm »

You need people to chip in? The "Tip Jar" link up there is broke.

Yeah, this.  There's only a few of us anachronisms left, but we're faithful.  We are grateful for your attention, El Guapo, and I'm sure we'd be glad to cover your costs if you'll let us know what they are.

As for the day to day, I wouldn't expect things to change much unless you've been dissatisfied with the current administration.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:37 am »

Tip Jar is just my Amazon wishlist, although I guess I need to put some smaller denomination items on it.

I'll be testing the latest SMF upgrade sometime this weekend. Should be fine.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 03:04:05 am »

The board displays slightly differently than it did before. Geez, you just start getting used to something and they go and change it up. Thanks Facebook!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 08:08:15 pm »

That is some finely tuned layout observation skills you've got there Paul.  I guess it looks like the margins around the posts are a little bigger?  What else did you see?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 08:45:45 pm »

I see several little differences, like some avatars have scroll bars next to them. On the other hand, I'm also using a different browser because I can't get Firefox to show me the new board even with repeatedly clearing the cache. so that could account for some of the differences. I hope we don't lose anyone permanently for having the same problem and thinking the board never resurrected.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 11:53:16 pm »

yeah, it definitely looks different but I can't put my finger on it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »

I'm seeing "add poll" as a link instead of a button now. The spacing is vaguely different in a hard to pin-down way. The "Author" and who's viewing list at the top seems new.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up