Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi-Fi Bullshit  (Read 6077 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Hi-Fi Bullshit
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:22:51 am »

I travel too much but my main Hi-Fi nerdy sound system is at home while I'm here is incredible. Anyone who says you can't hear the difference is either insane or hasn't heard the difference. Anyone care to opine?
[looks to nabu]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:35:40 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:15:07 am »

You can hear the difference.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:27:43 pm »

I'll bet you can but... man, I don't need one more thing to be dissatisfied and fussy about in my life, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:07:14 pm »

i refuse to engage with audiophiles because of keith, so
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:10 pm »

i refuse to engage with audiophiles because of keith, so

Well you know, some people are hi fi snobs and other people are bell pepper snobs. Whatever, I gave you a can anyway.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »

Don't forget the sushi snobs and the tomato snobs!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:49:47 pm »

Don't forget the sushi snobs and the tomato snobs!

And on and on and on...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:35 am »

Equipment matters, up to a point. Still, a lot of the purportedly high-end stuff just seems like witchcraft to me.

I suppose everyone has a pet concern about which having a conversation would be insufferable for the other less interested party. This is partly why I no longer comment on how other people set up their television sets.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:11:59 am by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 03:56:24 am »

I hear Monster cables really bring the high def to audio systems.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 07:09:31 am »

getcher self a good (enuff) ass pair of cans and rock out with your cock out almost everywhere.

financials and payroll shit got so much better the last coupla years when I can do it to a Slayer soundtrack.

Yeah I don't give a fuck what the host is playing,
"You're bass is dropping out at such-and-such hz and why is your tweeter in neverland?" No. We're here to talk and drink and enjoy ourselves.

When I'm home I like music and I spent a day figuring out the best spot where my cat, gf, and I just chill and listen to music. The experience is the same no matter what system I've got, but once you've heard a good one, everything else will just bug the fuck out of you.
It is like looking at bad grammar.


Edit: And with that said: i've got enough bass here to break windows so when people borrow it I have a switch in the closet that kills all but one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:17:07 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 01:12:38 am »

I'll bet you can but... man, I don't need one more thing to be dissatisfied and fussy about in my life, you know?

Yeah, this.  I am already sufficiently pissy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:46:22 am »

Also, yeah, I don't give a fuck about this?  Sorry choop.  I give hella fucks about the amp/pedals I use, but not really this.

I do have a pretty sick sound system tho.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:21:10 pm »

The difference between a good system and a shitty system is far greater than the difference between a great system and a good system, IMO.

I have a couple of those Sonos wireless speakers now and I love the bejeezus out of them. The sound is fine, but the ability to stream all my MP3s, and Amazon Cloud Player, and radio stations from anywhere, and content from music blogs, well that's all good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 01:47:50 pm »

In many things (I've gone through it with optics) getting the first 95% is easy but that last 5% costs you.

Deal is, how much does that last 5% mean to YOU.

Seems like a lot of the time what that 5% costs could get you 95% of something else.  But if you want the 5%, you want the 5%.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »

The difference between a good system and a shitty system is far greater than the difference between a great system and a good system, IMO.

I have a couple of those Sonos wireless speakers now and I love the bejeezus out of them. The sound is fine, but the ability to stream all my MP3s, and Amazon Cloud Player, and radio stations from anywhere, and content from music blogs, well that's all good.

We're doing that but Bose instead of Sonos. The Lady hated my big 90s system with 4' front speakers etc and we could get a Bose with built-in AirPlay for free from Amex points. So we replaced a thing that took up the whole corner with a shelf unit that works for playing mp3s at a party which is 90% of our in-home music listening. And this way we can throw another one in the back room and have them sync up.

I was at Record Store Day and the dude in front of me was talking about his headphones and home system where he claimed he could hear where the individual members of his favorite band were standing in relation to each other.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up