Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Poll

LOST [rate this mixdisc]

1 star
- 0 (0%)
2 stars
- 0 (0%)
3 stars
- 1 (33.3%)
4 stars
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: January 21, 2004, 10:51:08 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix  (Read 6650 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« on: January 21, 2004, 10:51:08 pm »

This one is awesome.  Really, I love everything about it.  I've only heard of a few of the artist and had heard virtually none of it before.  There's not a bad track on it.  I'll be taking a closer look at some of these bands.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 03:35:00 am »

I assume you're talking about my mix ...hee!
glad ya enjoyed it :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 04:25:49 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
I assume you're talking about my mix ...hee!
glad ya enjoyed it :D


I certainly did enjoy it.  In fact, I enjoyed it so much you're now my guru.  Fuck Pitchfork, fuck Rolling Stone, from now on I get my music suggestions from you.  I'll be expecting at least weekly tips on whats new and good.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 04:49:24 am »

I have a the chicken or the egg question.  When you look at the pop music landscape Radiohead seem very different from the rest of the bands operating at their level.  If there were no prescedents for the sounds they have created they would be considered very innovative, musical pioneers in fact.  Is this the case or are they simply a band of great songwriters who have their ears very close to the ground and have the knack for distilling the freshest sounds repackaging it as their own and riding that wave in much the same way the Beatles did in the '60s?  Starlight's mixdisc could easily be described as variations on a theme, that theme being Radiohead.  Many of the songs sound like they were inspired by a Radiohead song.  Not in a pandering way, but like fr' instance, RH does a song with a driving rock rhythm and a jazz horn freakout.  It's an awesome sound, but they do it just the one time and discard the idea.  This disc has a song which sounds nothing like The National Anthem actually, but could be described in exactly the same way, a song with a driving rock rhythm and a jazz horn freakout.  There are quite a few other examples right here on this disc.  So, many words later, I am asking, who is inspiring who?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 05:27:47 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "starlight"
I assume you're talking about my mix ...hee!
glad ya enjoyed it :D


I certainly did enjoy it.  In fact, I enjoyed it so much you're now my guru.  Fuck Pitchfork, fuck Rolling Stone, from now on I get my music suggestions from you.  I'll be expecting at least weekly tips on whats new and good.

~Paul


Hee!  I get most of my music suggestions from this one LJer (amadeeeep) lately.  he's the one who got me to get some Ampop, Mew, Franz Ferdinand, Hope of the States, etc.  I don't think I've hardly ever been steered wrong.  too bad his top 51 albums of 2003 list is friends only or I'd just show ya the list :)

So far, for this year, I'm looking forward to the new Air, Mice Parade, Franz Ferdinand (of course), and the american release of Cyann & ben.  there, there's a few suggestions :)

----

As for the radiohead similarities; I would say that at least some of those bands do seem to be influenced... hell, at the Sigur Rós boards, everything leads back to radiohead; people were starting to get sick of it, but hey!  they did do work with SR before, so it's not a surprise they'd come up a lot even if none of the bands discussed had a slight radiohead feel to them.  Ampop did say on their website they were influenced by radiohead (I think) ..that and depeche mode ..hah.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

V-Adore

  • Guest
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 06:45:41 pm »

I haven't listened to it all the way through -- my comp seems to not quite like it -- but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Pretty packaging, too.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 08:28:53 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
...but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Pretty packaging, too.


Yes this one has a very nice package.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 08:34:09 pm »

Reason 246,294 why the music industry is fucked up.  Misty Dixon and ainjel emme are obscure and unknown while Evanessence is shooting up the charts.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 08:43:59 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Reason 246,294 why the music industry is fucked up.  Misty Dixon and ainjel emme are obscure and unknown while Evanessence is shooting up the charts.

~Paul


Now you'll understand why I hate them, in case I never get out of obscurity, with those soulless fucktards doing so well!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 11:58:23 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I haven't listened to it all the way through -- my comp seems to not quite like it -- but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Pretty packaging, too.


Hmm.. maybe it's the zero pauses?  I heard from one person that their computer didn't like the zero pauses thing... not sure if not, but glad you like it nonetheless :)

The coverart is from explodingdog; I added layers and such to make it darker though :D

---

As for ainjel emme, her cd can be gotten at cdbaby.com
actually, I've been reading her lj (ainjel is the username) since before she was done with the record (she added me or I would've never known about her; I'm glad I do know though!); was interesting to read about.  her main site to find out about music, shows and such is here, by the way.

Misty Dixon is english; yeah, I tend to think only blah britpop like coldplay and such gets recognised over here not counting the cheesy pop (I recall S Club 7 and of course Spice Girls!)...even radiohead is only slightly up there.  meh.  of course, I tend to think if it was more popular it would get old faster ...things that are hyped up are usually not as good... turn overrated.  glad to keep them obscure despite that it sucks for those who don't know where to look underground.

---

Oooo another band to recommend:  Berg Sans Nipple.  only reason I didn't put any on this mix was cause I made this for a friend first and already made him a copy of the Berg Sans Nipple album.  it's brilliant stuff.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 04:40:39 am »

Oh yeah, I just submitted the setlist to AOTM if any of y'all want to read my pretentious story arc concerning the mix though it isn't needed to enjoy it obviously; just for those curious: here.

Also, cannot believe I didn't think of this before, here's my top 20 list of the best albums of 2003 for more suggestions:  here
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 04:50:39 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
Oh yeah, I just submitted the setlist to AOTM if any of y'all want to read my pretentious story arc concerning the mix though it isn't needed to enjoy it obviously; just for those curious: here


I tried to leave a comment on your disc at AOTM, but it said I was trying to immitate someone.  I don't know what that is about, but here is the  comment I tried to leave over there.

Thank you for this fabulous disc.  I didn't know you put so much thought into it, but it definitely shows.  I have been listening to it for a week now and it has hardly left my changer in all that time.  Every song is a winner and I intend to explore more tracks by most of these artist.  Ooh, I just saw that Broken Social Scene is coming to my town and the venue is practically in my neighborhood.  Thanks again Star for bringing some great new music to an old man.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 05:40:16 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "starlight"
Oh yeah, I just submitted the setlist to AOTM if any of y'all want to read my pretentious story arc concerning the mix though it isn't needed to enjoy it obviously; just for those curious: here


I tried to leave a comment on your disc at AOTM, but it said I was trying to immitate someone.  I don't know what that is about, but here is the  comment I tried to leave over there.

Thank you for this fabulous disc.  I didn't know you put so much thought into it, but it definitely shows.  I have been listening to it for a week now and it has hardly left my changer in all that time.  Every song is a winner and I intend to explore more tracks by most of these artist.  Ooh, I just saw that Broken Social Scene is coming to my town and the venue is practically in my neighborhood.  Thanks again Star for bringing some great new music to an old man.


AOTM can be tricksy like that ...meh.  once it said I was imitating someone, too and darnit I'm only one person over there :D

Hee!  yeah, I put more thought into this one than I usually do into my mixes mostly cause the friend I first made it for challenged me in a way when he said I could make better mixes if I had special programs to crossfade and such... I wanted to prove him wrong :)

I hear BSS is good live ...and hey, you live in Houston, eh?  I didn't know BSS was coming here!  I've never seen 'em... never been to any shows though since most those in the area who I know don't like the music I like and the one who does (the friend I made this mix for actually), hasn't even been by to hang out (yeah I still have yet to give him this mix; I told him I was giving it to others since he was being too slow to get his copy ..haHAH) let alone anything else... enjoy it if ya go! :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 06:22:45 am »

I guess mine got LOST in the mail.

Oh, I crack me up...

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 07:49:43 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I guess mine got LOST in the mail.

Oh, I crack me up...


Ya didn't PM me for a copy, yo :P

..or is this post just to make a joke for the hell of it?  heh
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up