Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Poll

LOST [rate this mixdisc]

1 star
- 0 (0%)
2 stars
- 0 (0%)
3 stars
- 1 (33.3%)
4 stars
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: January 21, 2004, 10:51:08 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix  (Read 6632 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 03:57:18 am »

I know I talk out my ass, but since ya'll never call me on it I keep talking...

Some ghosts of the past are starting to emerge in a few of the songs.  This isn't a complaint, nothing is new under the sun after all and when you've heard as much music as I have you are bound to hear some similarities.

It's possibly just the thick English accent, but Sodastream remind me of Nick Drake.

The anjel emme song has the same feel as I Could Have Lied.  It's not so very dry as that one, but similar and then swells at the chorus.

There is one little segment near the end of Darts of Pleasure where the Hammondesque organ sound kicks it hard behind the sing along "I am superfantastic" vocals that so reminds me of The Doors ala Break on Through or LA Woman.  It's very delicious.

Mew on Comforting Sounds is reminiscent of Adore era Smashing Pumpkins.  It starts out so small and just keeps building and building until it is so totally grandiose.  It's a perfect album closer.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 09:04:48 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
It's possibly just the thick English accent, but Sodastream remind me of Nick Drake.

Mew on Comforting Sounds is reminiscent of Adore era Smashing Pumpkins.  It starts out so small and just keeps building and building until it is so totally grandiose.  It's a perfect album closer.

~Paul


Hmm.. my mom told me the Sodastream song reminded her of this guy who played with Shawn Phillips (I don't know if you know him, but I don't really entirely like his music much) on a video she got from someone.  I forget his name... arrr.  there was this blind guy singing the blues before they played is all I recall ...really, I don't think it sounds much like that guy, but oh well.  I like the one Nick Drake song I've heard before ..I should actually buy an album sometime; some people were talking up quite a few of them.
[ETA:  aha!  I think the name was Donovan (sp?)]

As for the Mew song, it is the closer of their album Frengers :)
I think the old version was the closer of the out of print album as well; it's not as great as that version though cause it doesn't have the wailing overtop at the end like this one does; they certainly improved it.  they do have a lot of good old songs though that didn't make it on Frengers (most of the songs are redone songs on there) like Mica (mp3 link) [actually I have a whole frikkin' bunch of mp3s here ..yeah had to find something to do with my massive amount o' domain space] ..it sounds a bit like The Cure in a way; my mom said perhaps 'just like heaven' at the beginning; she expects 'tell me, tell me, tell me' to be the first words ..hah.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 03:45:33 pm »

Donovan's alright, but Nick Drake is awesome.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2004, 02:09:09 am »

Yeah, I was a bit bored by Donovan on that video ..perhaps cause it was improv though ...I was like 'what in the hell is this crap?!'  heh.  so, yeah, Nick Drake ..'pink moon' is a good song :D
Oh!  and I realised on a mixtape I got in '98, it had the song 'northern sky' so I've heard *two* songs ..woo.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2004, 02:33:07 am »

when is the next CD trade happening? I'd like to get in on it, if possible.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 04:08:55 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
when is the next CD trade happening? I'd like to get in on it, if possible.

If you make a mix and tell people you're willing to trade, you'll get requests. It's sort of informal.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2004, 04:50:52 am »

Or, look at the setlists posted in the aptly named thread or in other various and sundry threads.  Then PM the creator and ask nicely.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2004, 06:52:23 am »

I've got a mix (not the one in Help My Tape), if anyone wants to trade. PM me...or...whatever you people do in situations like this.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2004, 08:57:09 am »

The couple others who PM-ed me for a copy of my mix - I've made 'em and they'll be sent out next week ..just a heads up :)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2004, 11:47:48 pm »

Yarr, I hates Donovan.  I have a hippie father who's often tried to inculcate me with Donovan-love, but to no avail.  However, I love Nick Drake immensely, and don't really understand how the two could be compared, Britishness aside.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2004, 01:53:11 am »

Well actually Donovan is Greek.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2004, 05:09:59 pm »

Got mine last week and just got around to listening to it this weekend.  Interesting stuff.

I think I'm liking this band Mew.  We've elsewhere answered the question "What the hell is an arab strap, anyway?"  So now I'd like to ask "What is the significance of the number 156?"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I found 'LOST' to be an exquisite mix
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2004, 09:22:22 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Got mine last week and just got around to listening to it this weekend.  Interesting stuff.

I think I'm liking this band Mew.  We've elsewhere answered the question "What the hell is an arab strap, anyway?"  So now I'd like to ask "What is the significance of the number 156?"


Glad ya liked it.

Actually, as for the number thing, I was wondering the same thing, yo... I just know it's a stalker song ..I s'pose I could google search for the answer :D

[edit:  I found a site that asked if it was a room or door #, but the singer wouldn't tell]
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up