Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portland Soda Works  (Read 7443 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 02:27:47 am »

I mean, I bet we all have moved on from some of our stuff from a decade ago.

(or at least, we should have)

*wears hat for Darlene*
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:56 pm »

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014

"crafts intricate sarsaparilla- and cola-inspired flavor puzzles"

I am not a violent man, but that description makes me want to punch both Onstad and the pissant who wrote that sentence directly in the throat. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »

Yeah yeah but...

Quote
Onstad says he turned to soda after years of heavy drinking. But he was soon disappointed in his nonalcoholic beverage options. “I’d be having a $150 dinner and it would be, ‘Do you want milk or Diet RC?’” he remembers. “I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’

This is an actual problem that needs a solution.... or maybe it did a few years ago. Now, restaurants I go to that charge that much usually have bartenders who are willing to make fancy nonalcoholic drinks. Sometimes they'll even have one on the menu. It's easy for them to do now since the trend is to having all kinds of handmade syrups and fresh ingredients like ginger and mint and so on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 04:38:39 pm »

I managed to kind of miss the sentence you mention on first reading, this was the one that made me want to punch someone:
Quote
Lightly bitter kola nut gets dressed up with spicy lemongrass, holy basil, and cold-press coffee, plus a few “top secret” flourishes.
But that's not the sentence as much as the excruciating trendiness of the actual recipe.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 07:27:11 am »

SO and I are planning a Portland trip before the end of the year, and I've already colored my request to tickle my tongue at one of the serving establishments. I do wonder if they'll sell full bottles for keeping, or if it is on tap only.

OT: Also, Hi Everybody! Been lurking in the 4 years since joining TOUAMB and my last posts. Still searching high and low for a copy of the existing cookbook. The PDF is neat, but I wanna feel it in my hands. I think the fact that not a single one has popped up on eBay is a testament to how dear they are held.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 05:11:21 pm »

Hi Robocop, welcome to less lurk mode.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:45 pm »

and i thought i was winning lurk mode.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 02:57:33 am »

Hey, coming out of the woodwork here. What's up homies!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »

What this board needs is more lurkers who go to Portland and drink soda and report back.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 04:04:54 pm »

What this board needs is more lurkers who go to Portland and drink soda and report back.

Werd!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

If you miss those Onstad turns of phrase, couple of these blog posts for his company are entertaining
https://www.popart.com/blog/chris-onstad

However, I happened to find these because he tweeted yesterday about his last day of work, so I guess there won't be any more?

(I didn't know where to put this, so I put it here in case he's going in for soda full time.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 05:29:32 pm »

If you miss those Onstad turns of phrase, couple of these blog posts for his company are entertaining
https://www.popart.com/blog/chris-onstad
So does this mean I can hire him to print a cookbook? I wonder what the going rate is. I got my pdf printed at Staples for a couple dollars, but that is a sorry excuse.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Portland Soda Works
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 07:15:53 pm »

That man is on some kind of caffeine infused butterfly trail. He's jumping more than a cricket on a hot-plate. That man is wearing himself some eldritch-cursed dancing shoes. Even when he sticks himself in one place he vibrates at the frequency of cats and dogs.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing.

thank goodness because I thought you were describing me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up