Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A First World Pixie Problem  (Read 1943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A First World Pixie Problem
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:05:16 am »

I have tried and failed on numerous occasions in the past to like the Pixies. Most notably a couple of years ago when some of my friends were involved in a musical based on the life of Herman Brood inspired by an album by Frank Black.

I tried again this past weekend. On Weird Al's new album there is a style pastiche of The Pixies and I love it. So I listened to The Pixies for two hours on Sunday and nothing. It  just ain't happening. the only reason I'm trying so hard is because it seems like a band I should like. Huh? Anyway, I guess I only love the Pixies when it's been filtered through the mind of Weird Al.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:38 am »

I hate weird al and love the pixies, so I guess it takes all kinds.

which albums have you guys tried? All of em?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:16 pm »

Inev doesn't like music that is fun.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:53:26 pm »

The pixies are extremely fun! I actually think the thing that sets them apart from other similar-sounding bands is that they are having fun and being a little silly. Usually the thing missing from bands that "sound like the Pixies" is that bouncy rhythm and sense of humor.

I am also getting nostalgic for They Might Be Giants lately. But I'm scared that if I actually listen to the CD, as opposed to just "hearing" it in my head, it won't be as good as I remember.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:56:50 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »

I have heard and enjoyed numerous individual Pixies songs, but oddly enough don't own any of their albums.

This is probably my favorite song of theirs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4V5XjyR6s
Pretty sure I played this on my college radio show without edits, figuring that no one who would be upset by it could actually understand that he said "Oh kiss me cunt, oh kiss me cock."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:58:33 pm by Carlos del Vaca »
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:40 pm »

Only very tangentially related, but the Dropkick Murphys are great fun.  I even listen to them at times of the year unrelated to St. Patrick's Day.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:31 pm »

I hate weird al and love the pixies, so I guess it takes all kinds.

which albums have you guys tried? All of em?

I have Doolittle and Wave of Mutilation, which is a best of album. But seriously, if you hate Weird Al your opinion on the matter is null and void.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A First World Pixie Problem
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:16 am »

Surfer Rosa is the best.

This is my favorite Pixies song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYpCDVetLCM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ve9P3AMbaA
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up