Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)  (Read 4302 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

elfbabe

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« on: January 21, 2004, 11:18:36 pm »

Well, I'm disappointed. I really wanted another Roomba strip.

...

Still good, though.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 11:22:47 pm »

"I could hear her humming 'Here Comes the Bride'..."

:lol:

V-Adore

  • Guest
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 11:26:27 pm »

I love this strip almost entirely. It's a beautiful thing, and it's totally Achewoodian, for the lack of a better word -- a perfect blend of whimsy and mundanity.

That, and the entire idea that bass in the Acheverse also talk is so absolutely perfect.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 11:26:41 pm »

I don't know, it's about time for a new character.  And maybe Onstad can market a Barry Bass to hang on your wall.  It will talk about relationship problems all day (instead of singing) and will come with a pack of Guinness.

This addition to the Beef and Teodor talking action figures, with roomba bases.  He'll make a killing.

Beef looks so sad in the first two panels.  I just want to hug the guy.  Barry arrived at just the right moment.

Quote from: "elfbabe"
Well, I'm disappointed. I really wanted another Roomba strip.

...

Still good, though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 11:45:28 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
"I could hear her humming 'Here Comes the Bride'..."


Took me a scarily long time (well OK about two minutes) to place that.
Stunning.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 11:56:03 pm »

I just wonder what Barry would've done had there been bait. Probably just ignored it and left it to the more Ray-like giraffe, I suspect.
Logged

Ryan

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 01:17:34 am »

in the few minutes he's been online, i have come to love barry bass

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 01:57:19 am »

Very nice strip.  Indeed, Achewoodian.

It's got that sombre feeling of unexpectedness.  A bass is talking.  Beef accepts this and responds casually, of course.  It's great.  Think he'll stick around longer than a three strip storyline?
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 03:12:49 am »

giraffe got beer!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 03:26:55 am »

Yes, I like this giraffe.  An unassuming fellow.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 04:05:58 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just wonder what Barry would've done had there been bait. Probably just ignored it and left it to the more Ray-like giraffe, I suspect.


Barry actually seemed concerned that Beef didn't have any bait on his hook.  I mean that's why he came up initially, to give him a heads up right?  I don't think Bass eat worms anyway, and aren't they pretty hard to catch?  Now we know why, they are a lot smarter than we suspected.

Oh BTW, I loved this strip.  Best of the year so far.  And i'm not a fawner either yahnai.  Check the archives, I rarely get involved in the daily stroke fest over the latest strip.  So when I say a strip is good you know it's coming from a special place.  Peace out beotch.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 05:03:50 am »

A Bass + Guiness = a Black and Tan, right? Weird.

I think Beef should net this bad boy so Ray can grill some Thick Bass Steaks.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 05:37:08 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

I think Beef should net this bad boy so Ray can grill some Thick Bass Steaks.


Aaack!  no!  not after we already got to know it!

---

Anyway, I, too, was slightly disappointed there wasn't more roomba action, but I admit the joke could've been dragged into the ground which wouldn't have been so great either.

Do indeed love this strip :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 06:39:48 am »

Wow, I didn't think of the Bass and Guiness action.  

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised that Onstad gets his inspiration from High Spirits.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 06:44:50 am »

I'm sorry, the entire issue of talking animals having perfectly civil conversations with other talking animals and then eating them is just sort of creepy. I think it's residual backwash from "Kevin & Kell," bless its rotten, blackened little heart.

Anyway! I am returning to a world paradigm in which Barry Bass is not eaten by Roast Beef.  This is all.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up