Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reaganbook  (Read 2528 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Reaganbook
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »

Reaganbook

There's a new social network in town to do battle with Facebook. Well it was shut down in less than 24 hours when it was overrun by trolls. The goofballs that set the thing up didn't foresee that inevitability. I mean c'mon, Reaganbook? The Facebook for patriots? Ha ha, I just don't know what they expected was going to happen.

Lost amid all the laughter one of the stated goals of Reaganbook, one that most of us would be in favor of, that they weren't going to share our information with the government or sell it to advertisers was lost.

Isn't it time for that social media site to exist? One that looks a lot like Facebook, but actually shows us everything we want to see, not what it thinks we want to see, or what it's advertisers want us to see. One that doesn't gather, then sell our information to whoever will pay for it. One that doesn't treat us like lab rats in their ongoing research. Man oh man, I would sign up for a service like that in a heartbeat.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »

Man oh man, I would sign up for a service like that in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but how much would you pay? 

The thing to remember about Facebook is that you aren't the customer, you're the product being sold.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:14:28 pm »

Yeah, but how much would you pay? 

The thing to remember about Facebook is that you aren't the customer, you're the product being sold.

I understand that completely, and that's the problem. I don't want to be their product. And I don't really know how much I would pay. I know that I've been paying for Flickr for years. It was my social network before Facebook. Most of my Flickr friends have migrated to Facebook so it kinda sucks for social interaction now. And they've made a lot of stupid changes to their interface so it sucks in general now.

I don't even mind so much being constantly sold to, but I would sure love to have control over my feed.

Do you think the kind of social network I am describing is unfeasible? That there is no way to do it unless you do it the Facebook way?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:10:16 pm »

I think I already have what you're describing and it's called Twitter with Adblock installed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:11:23 pm »

I think the appeal of Facebook is its universality.  People who wouldn't otherwise be on social media are on Facebook because it's the default and it's free.  A huge portion of those folks will not pay for a better social media experience.  They're either incapable of recognizing the benefits of what you describe or just don't give a shit about it.  Facebook is the McDonald's of social media.



 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:24:36 pm »

I'd be  happy to leave those people behind. THIS place, TOUAMB is exactly the type of place I would love to see, but we've become so diminished we hardly exist anymore.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44:15 pm »

I think there's a place for both sorts of sites, it's just important to know the difference.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »

It seems to me the major difference is there are people on Facebook. So Wombat, tell me about this Twitter.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:25 pm »

I think one of the main things about Twitter is that unlike Facebook, the expectation is NOT that you will follow people you know in real life. So it's much harder to end up in stupid arguments with relatives and people you haven't seen since grade school. And there are still people who are all "waah waah I don't get Twitter" and that is actually a good thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:03:10 am »

Okay, I'm @pmcd9. Please retweet me, or whatever you're supposed to do.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 02:14:26 pm »

So it's much harder to end up in stupid arguments with relatives and people you haven't seen since grade school.

But you CAN end up in stupid arguments with complete strangers! So it's like the old days of the internet.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 04:35:53 pm »

Yes! And isn't that a million times better?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Reaganbook
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 04:54:36 pm »

Yeah, I can't figure out what the business model is there.

There are lots of accounts that follow people just in the hopes that they will get followed back. Some of those accounts are for businesses where it might be useful for them to be able to say that they have zillions of followers. Others, I don't get it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up