I have a strict no one rides for free policy at my house. Now that's not entirely true, but I definitely try not to take in strays unless they are willing to pay in some way. Recently, back in May I had a strange situation at my house. it involved
these 3 furry critters.
I've known Therese, the woman, or UV Indigo Auracle (ugh!) for about a year. She was a transplant to Houston from Omaha Nebraska. She's a really sweet kid, but a straight up dingbat. She actually moved not to Houston, but rather Sugarland, a bedroom community just to the south of the city because that's the dream of every small town girl apparently, to move to the big city and live in one of it's nondescript suburbs. She's recently returned home to Omaha. She hooked up with Atif, who's a pretty good guy, while living here in Houston.
She and Atif returned to Houston to pick up some of Atif's stuff, I think. It's hard to tell because both of them talk in circles and never seem to get to the point (potheads). Therese is a motor mouth too. She goes on and on without ever actually saying anything. They brought along another friend, Trent, who they picked up along the way. Trent was stranded somewhere in Texas and they rescued him.
So they're here and Therese calls me up Her and Atif want to see me, so we get together with a couple of
other folks. It was fun. Lots of laughs. Trent, the stranger of the group is both full of himself and full of shit. But he's funny so he's alright. Around 10 I say my farewells and take myself to the house.
Around midnight I get a call from
Hippie Dave asking if I can take Therese and her krewe in for the night. They failed to mention all afternoon and into the evening that they had no place to stay and no money to rent a place. I didn't really want to do it, but I felt peer pressure so I said I would.
The next day is Monday and according to their original plan they were going to leave Tuesday morning. I pulled some last minute strings and got them invited to an artcar event taking place in Tulsa the coming weekend. That would give them a $600 payday to help get them home. So now their plan is to leave on Thursday instead. I said they were welcome to stay with me until then.
On Tuesday I asked if they would be willing to do some chores to pass the time and help out the fat lazy old man. You know, vacuum the carpet, dust, mop, clean the shower. I never would have asked, but on Monday they spent the entirety of the day sitting on my porch literally doing nothing except smoking cigarettes and talking shit. The highlight of the day for them was when Trent discovered a
common green anole. He had apparently never seen one before and it blew his mind. I honestly thought they were bored and would welcome the chance to have something to do and help me out at the same time.
Of course they all got very busy suddenly and had tons of stuff to get done before they left town. That was fine too. At least they're doing something now and out of the house. All in all over the next two days, after many fits and starts they may have done an hour of housework. No biggie. It wasn't something I was expecting anyway. The only real negative of the 3 days was Trent. He went from annoying hippie loser to certified asshole. They were about to shut off his cell phone and I heard him con his mother with a lot of bullshit about how scared he was living on the street and he didn't want to lose his only lifeline. I also didn't really appreciate that Therese and Atif abandoned Trent all night on Wednesday only reappearing on Thursday morning to pick up their shit (and him).
That weekend they are in Tulsa enjoying a fun artcar party thanks to me and I am at a different local artcar party when out of the blue
Kristie asked me what the hell was I doing asking my guest to clean my house? I was taken aback so I refused to discuss the matter with her. After I gathered my thoughts I got to wondering how the hell she even knew about this unless those little bastards were complaining about me behind my back.
Oh yeah, one more thing. Therese has this little dog and she asked me to babysit a couple of times. I didn't really mind too much.
Gerald was clearly smitten though.