Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragonfire is Dead!  (Read 3174 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Dragonfire is Dead!
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:12:04 pm »

My faithful fire breathing Artcar died in spectacular fashion last week on the way home from an exhibition and parade in Colorado. A lot of people have suggested I do a Kickstarter campaign to finance the repair. I find myself in a quandary. It's a bit of a moral issue for me because I've always been against any Kickstarter that was essentially to finance someone's personal Funtime. I have tried to justify it in my case by telling myself that I've been giving away free entertainment for years. It's true, I've brought a lot of smiles to a lot of faces through the years with Dragonfire. Lots of people love that car.

I guess I'm hoping you'll tell me it's okay to beg for money to repair my car so I can keep having fun.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:51:07 pm »

You're part of a community of fellow art-car people, and you bring them (and other people who see your car) happiness and joy. This isn't a project that sits on your wall, or in your garage-- it's out there engaging people and bringing something weird and cool into a sometimes boring world. You wouldn't be asking for money for something that only benefits you (like your personal, normal car) or something that is going to make you money-- this is about continuing to be part of the community.

The only worry I would have is this: some dickwads are going to feel like you "owe" them.

Some people are grumpy about Kickstarter, and I am trying not to be one of them. I hope I die before I become someone who doesn't want more weird shit in the world. Especially weird shit that knows it's weird shit and not some kind of world-changing cultural happening.

Go for it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:17:41 pm »

I think it's OK to beg for money to repair your car so I can keep watching you having fun.

I'm not sure Kickstarter is the right way though. They have a lot of rules. Like you don't get any of the money unless you meet your funding goal. And do you really want to spend a lot of time coming up with and sending rewards to your backers?  But there are lots of other sites now to let people donate to other people for whatever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:14 pm »

You're part of a community of fellow art-car people, and you bring them (and other people who see your car) happiness and joy. This isn't a project that sits on your wall, or in your garage-- it's out there engaging people and bringing something weird and cool into a sometimes boring world.

Go for it.

I think it's OK to beg for money to repair your car so I can keep watching you having fun.

Thank you for your support.

You wouldn't be asking for money for something that only benefits you (like your personal, normal car) or something that is going to make you money

While I was considering what you had written I was scrolling down my Facebook wall and one of my friends had posted "Ahh this could be the beginning of my gypsy village... Should I start a Kickstart fundraiser thingy?!!! Who is in...a community of like minded artists, musicians, crafters , makers...travellers... And market space..." If none of that made any sense, don't fret, it's all hippy dippy bullshit. This is basically a woman with no shame (also huge titties). Plain and simple, what she's talking about is asking for $140,000 to buy herself a home.

The only worry I would have is this: some dickwads are going to feel like you "owe" them.

I could offer a ride to anyone that donates. Oh wait I'll do that now just for asking. Oh wait, I can't!

I'm not sure Kickstarter is the right way though. They have a lot of rules. Like you don't get any of the money unless you meet your funding goal. And do you really want to spend a lot of time coming up with and sending rewards to your backers?  But there are lots of other sites now to let people donate to other people for whatever.

I only used Kickstarter as a generic term for fundraiser site like Kleenix or Q-Tip. I don't know which site I would use.

Thanks!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »

And yeah, that ol' gal is carrying around a helluva bag of hammers, ain't she?

I may or may not have had them smashed into my face a time or two.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:17:13 pm »

When I first saw that idea floated on your Facebook post, I immediately thought it was a GREAT idea.  I bet there are a lot of people who would jump at the chance to give back to you, and these fundraising mechanisms just give a seed around which such support can crystallize.  Go for it, and express thanks - but no undue obligation - to those who contribute, and may Dragonfire roam America's backroads for years to come.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:07:56 pm »

I will gladly pony up some money for my Dragonfire kickstarter. You could offer prints of my Baltimore flaming pole dancer photo as a reward.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:37 pm »

You could offer prints of my Baltimore flaming pole dancer photo as a reward.

That one is a winner.


It's not a stripper pole, she was naked when she got up there.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 03:54:17 am »

Here's one you'll like even more.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »

That one is truly priceless.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:34:52 am »

Thanks! It's in great shape again. Should serve me for years to come.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 04:31:45 am »

Wooo!  Dragonfire lives!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »

Hooray!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »

Awesome!  I'll head over to Flickr to see if you've posted any pics.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:20 am »

There will be some pics from last night. Her triumphant return at World Artcar Day fun.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up