Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 161861 times)

0 Members and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2016, 02:12:31 am »

foreclosures and mortgages,

This is a really important issue. I deal with this professionally, especially as it relates to property taxes.  Kentucky essentially privatizes collection of delinquent property tax, and based on conversations with some land bank advocates, this has had a significant effect of city conditions.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:50 am »

Yeah, that's true, it is actually interesting. The foreclosure stuff is more interesting than the weeks and weeks in a row where we read about subprime mortgages and credit scores. Which were also interesting... at first.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2016, 03:56:40 pm »

This kid who got accepted to my grad program is visiting and staying on my couch. We are having a lot of coordination issues. For instance, he wants to go to NYC for the first time and asked if he could make the 12:20 train. I said "yes." I guess I should have specified, "yes, if you leave now and go directly there and don't stop for lunch on the way to the station." Now he calls asking if I know when the next train is. Yeesh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2016, 04:26:40 pm »

Ew.

Cleaning things like that is one of the truest satisfactions in life. The other day I realized that dozens of tiny rocks were stuck in the narrow treads of my sneakers. I savored poking them out with push-pins.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2016, 05:44:24 pm »

Last week I learned how to take apart the U-bend on a sink drain, get all the hair out, and then put it all back together.

Accomplishment.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2016, 06:53:44 pm »

I would be all about teflon tape.

What do I win?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »

Woo Hoo!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #367 on: April 08, 2016, 05:34:40 pm »

You're gonna send him to the east coast?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #368 on: April 08, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »

You didn't tell her you expect clean stalls for the hosss when you get home?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #369 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:47 pm »

This dude is obviously some distant relative of Paul.
http://www.cmuse.org/valentin-guerin-pyro-trombone/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2016, 01:54:04 pm »

I have nothing to say except that I am glad the board has risen from the dead again.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #371 on: April 12, 2016, 05:21:43 pm »

Went to the conference the people I'm working for have every year. They forgot to put me on the list to get in, didn't have a name tag for me, and I didn't get a lunch. This is a job I spend $30 every Friday to get to, and work at for free.

Internships are a scam.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2016, 04:47:22 pm »

Yesterday I was trying to hold back whining about the above to a close friend, and she said she was having a hard day because one of her favorite clients died (she is a social worker for older adults).

Perspective is so good. Even if it fades fast sometimes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:24 pm »

Yeah, I have recently belatedly realized that I have an unhealthy emotional thing where I think of anger/frustration as something I should always try to hide, and sadness/disappointment as something it's OK to wallow in. Definitely need to learn to do the "recognize the feeling and then let go" method.

This is also a problem because it makes me react unfairly to other people when they express their anger.

Also need to get a tattoo that reminds me to eat a banana or something when I start getting all upset about something tiny. 3/4 of the time it's hunger or caffeine buzz wearing off. But in the moment I never realize that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2016, 08:59:16 pm »

Looking at my budget between now and "undetermined date when I get a job" is rough.

On the other hand, I think I could live on the non-perishables in my pantry for at least a month, if I supplement them with eggs and veggies. So many noodles, different types of rice, and condiments. Lately my dinners have been sweet potatoes, rice, broccoli, hot sauce, and an egg on top... and it's pretty damn satisfying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71   Go Up