Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Poll

I would try this Recipe

Yes because it looks Tasty and Easy
- 1 (14.3%)
Yes because it looks Tasty although not easy
- 5 (71.4%)
No because it looks Difficult
- 0 (0%)
No because I don't like shrimp
- 1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 29, 2004, 10:43:06 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders  (Read 8267 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 04:38:29 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My problem is that I lack what people have laying around. If I even want to make most box-mix items I need to go out and buy a tiny carton of milk because I hate the stuff and never have it on hand. Ditto for butter. But I have soy sauce and olive oil.


My new mission: to create a recipe made entirely of ingredients that people have lying around, and don't spoil.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 07:13:37 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
My problem is that I lack what people have laying around. If I even want to make most box-mix items I need to go out and buy a tiny carton of milk because I hate the stuff and never have it on hand. Ditto for butter. But I have soy sauce and olive oil.


My new mission: to create a recipe made entirely of ingredients that people have lying around, and don't spoil.


Your first problem here is that good, wholesome food spoils. By nature. The stuff that doesn't spoil would be tough to build a cusine around.

Here is a challenge we occasionally throw at each other:

IRON CHEF LEFTOVERS BATTLE

It's like ready set cook or door knock dinners except you get to survey the kitchen and you may send the spouse out for NO MORE THAN 2 minor ingredients plus the dessert / wine of their choice.

You MUST use perishable items left over. Especially for the main course if possible. My shining moment at this game was the day after Thanksgiving 1999. My Turkey Croquettes, chestnut flavor would have bowled over Chairman Kaga.  I am pretty good at this game.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 08:50:25 pm »

I love that game.  Except Pedro doesn't cook, so I end up playing with myself.  

Wait, that didn't come out right...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2004, 09:02:55 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Your first problem here is that good, wholesome food spoils. By nature. The stuff that doesn't spoil would be tough to build a cusine around.

Here is a challenge we occasionally throw at each other:

IRON CHEF LEFTOVERS BATTLE

It's like ready set cook or door knock dinners except you get to survey the kitchen and you may send the spouse out for NO MORE THAN 2 minor ingredients plus the dessert / wine of their choice.


Did you see the NY Battle special where they actually sent the Iron Chef's (Michiba and Morimoto, I think) into somebody's kitchen to do this and they were stunned because despite the full fridge there was no actual food.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2004, 02:18:35 am »

I did! And when Gordon Elliott was doing Door-Knock Dinners, one of the Chefs was JUST HILARIOUS in his running commentary about the lack of usable items in what looked to be a fully stocked kitchen.

I think a show called "Trailer Park Gourmets" could be really funny too; lets go to some central Florida cyclone-magnet and check out what's in the kitchen. What can we make with potted meat, Miracle Whip, a 12 pack of Fresca and a box of Banana Flips?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tropical Flavors for you snowbound mainlanders
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2004, 11:36:15 am »

I saw that too - the looks on their faces were priceless, especially looking at stuff in the freezer.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up