I am thinking way too much about this Kentucky clerk who is in jail for not giving gay people marriage licenses. Specifically, kinda surprised (but not surprised) by my friends who suddenly are 100% in favor of the rule of law and punishing people who break the rules for their beliefs. Would they be condemning someone who was breaking the law and being held in comtempt of court if they were, say, issuing gay marriage licenses when they were still illegal? Or punishing killer cops or freeing protestors or something? Probably not, right?
I'm sure if I bring this up they will find all kinds of ways to contort themselves to say this is different, and all of those will boil down to "it's OK when good guys do it, not when bad guys do it." Which I hate but maybe it's the reality of the world that when you are fighting for a cause you can't be picky about methods.
I guess I have the luxury of being concerned about this stuff because it does not directly affect me.
I read somewhere that this kind of quibbling is why the Paris Commune failed. The revolutionaries got bogged down because half of them wanted to storm Versailles and kill the king (emperor?) and disband the army, and the other half wanted to immediately form a democratic government and decide fairly what to do. It turns out it takes a long time to form a democratic government and decide fairly what to do, longer than it takes to rally your imperial troops and massacre some revolutionaries.
This kind of thing also happened recently in STL, where a guy I really support in STL politics voted "ABSTAIN" on establishing a police oversight board, because he was pissed off that activists were trying to intimidate him into supporting the bill that he already supported. Politics takes a more careful hand than some people want to think, and of course that's tough with a mass movement that anyone can claim to speak for.