Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days  (Read 4041 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:22:54 am »

Link

Has Cornelius always been this pessimistic?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AKKOLADE

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:16 am »

Usually before his second glass of port, or after his fourth; or depending on his proximity to Lyle and/or an inquisitive Philippe.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:56:17 pm »

I have this idea that Chris has been saving up ideas over the last 5 years and has finally gotten around to expressing them, perhaps while his artisinal "root"beer lagers.  Hopefully that well won't run dry on us suddenly.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:01:42 pm »

I don't think Cornelius is being pessimistic. I think he's being wise.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:15:36 pm »

I don't think Cornelius is being pessimistic. I think he's being wise.

Yeah, this.  The more history I read, the more I realize that only the trappings change.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 07:49:12 pm »

I don't think Cornelius is being pessimistic. I think he's being wise.

Yeah, this.  The more history I read, the more I realize that only the trappings change.

Is this a truism in the vein of "The truth has a liberal bias?" All optimist are naive? The wisdom of understanding leads to a pessimistic worldview? Oh my God, I was a fool to believe that Bernie Sanders had a chance. Fascism is coming to America and there's nothing we can do about it. Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:55:54 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:13:25 pm »

I think you can be a realist while still being an optimist. If you look at history, no, things don't always get better. It isn't inevitable that good will triumph. But sometimes things get better-- you won't always win if you try, but you certainly aren't gonna win by sitting around and waiting for it to happen to you.

Quote from: Dumb and Dumber
So... you're saying there's a chance!

Also: most things are probably better now than 50 years ago. Even if some things have gotten worse.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 08:23:43 pm »

I don't see why it's pessimistic to point out that the past wasn't a golden age. Assuming the past was perfect and everything has been going downhill since then, that seems a lot more pessimistic to me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 08:48:40 pm »

I don't think the past was perfect. America has always had lots of problems, most particularly with the issue of race. But there is a greatness in America that is on the wane as Jeff Daniels so eloquently points out. That's what the good old days mean to me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 08:58:10 pm »

Look, I'm sorry y'all. I'm just feeling really raw right now. Bernie is teetering on the edge of failure and Trump is ascending. it doesn't look good for America. So please let me dream of a time when Fascism wasn't staring America in the face.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »

But why not dream of that time being in the future instead of the past?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:36 pm »

But why not dream of that time being in the future instead of the past?

I do. I mean, I want to believe in a Utopian future, and there is evidence we are headed in that direction. But there is stronger evidence that we are headed for destruction. We are headed in both directions at the same time and it's maddening at times.

I think we are ultimately doomed unless we solve the problem of interstellar flight. I know I'm probably getting off into cloud coo coo land, but you ask me about my dreams of the future. And I think we are fucked unless we find new space to grow. The way Earthlings have always dealt with their unsolvable problems is by leaving. It's how America got started, it was Europeans fleeing persecution. And that's been the story of America ever since. Trouble is, there's nowhere left to go. Look at the Syria problem. Millions of refugees fleeing persecution, but their only options are to go to countries filled with people that hate them. That virgin country no longer exist*. When I was born the world population was a little more than 3 billion. That number is more than double now. The city I grew up in is now 10 times the size it was when I was born. Project 50 years into the future the world population will top 10 billion. Our natural resources are already stretched to the breaking point. Since we are completely unwilling to address the population issue our only hope is to find a way off of this planet.

*Yes I realize there were already millions of natives in America when it was discovered.

Bush Jr. stepped in it as hard as you could and things boogied on.

Nearly 8 years on we're still trying to pick up the pieces from that disaster. Now, we are living with the specter of President Donald Trump. We may soon be longing for the good old days of President Bush.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 06:39:33 pm »

I agree with John Oliver's conclusion about reminiscing about a past that seemingly never existed: people want to go back to when they were children. That's their baseline, and it's a time when a lot of things were done for them, and there weren't a lot of consequences.

Paul, I don't think you're crazy. But I also don't want humans to find other inhabitable planets and then fuck THOSE up, too.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 07:02:07 pm »

Look, I'm sorry y'all. I'm just feeling really raw right now. Bernie is teetering on the edge of failure and Trump is ascending. it doesn't look good for America. So please let me dream of a time when Fascism wasn't staring America in the face.



THE EMPEROR PROTECTS
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: 2016-03-18 The Good Old Days
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »

But I also don't want humans to find other inhabitable planets and then fuck THOSE up, too.



IN THE GRIM WORLD OF THE DISTANT FUTURE THERE IS ONLY YOU'RE FIRED
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up