Yeah, definitely maxxed it. Just the right balance of days where I wore myself out and days where I sat pleasantly somewhere nice and read.
The coolest (besides Pompeii) was Milan. My sister's Italian friend, which of course she has because she goes to a different kind of fancy college than I did, told her where to go to dinner, and it was in the canal district. We left dinner during the Italy vs. Germany soccer game and it was insanity. People shooting off green and red smoke, fireworks, screaming, etc as they they watched the game on giant screens along the water. Milan was a nice mix of a big modern city and really old cool stuff.
Other highlights: heard an even more insane version of how my great-grandma became an orphan. Also that when they went to her childhood home to scatter her ashes in the river they found her initials carved in a windowsill.
Ran out of mobile data on the first day (10 hour nightmare of missing a flight in London and apparently looked at twitter way too much) so I spent the rest of the time with paper maps. Enjoyable because I love getting lost when I don't have anywhere to be.
Only had one fight with my sister, during that 10 hour layover, and the rest of the time we had a blast, even when my aunt and uncle were being shitheads.
Didn't get to go into the Sistine Chapel or Pantheon because of some sort of religious observance, but saw some nuns crying in St. Peters... which almost made me cry.
Some really great food once I gave in and stopped trying to order weird things. Might need to take a long break from prosciutto after One Bad Experience.