Well they are a Spanish-language TV company but I guess they have been branching out - I was surprised to learn they already own a big chunk of The Onion. Business don't seem to believe in, like, focusing on something, anymore.
Well I guess this business is focusing on becoming an even bigger media conglomerate.
I'm with you Inev, Gawker has done some bad things. It's not like Thiel fabricated the Hulk Hogan incident. He certainly exploited it for a kind of petty reason but Gawker was so clearly in the wrong here.
But yeah, it's kind of terrifying when you consider that Thiel is an enthusiastic Trump backer, and Trump talks about how he wants to "open up" libel laws, and these aren't two guys on the political fringe, and Christ, it's not so hard to imagine that depending on what happens in November, a few billionaires with fragile egos and thin skin could probably have a strong chilling effect on the freedom of the press. Worst case scenario probably, and thank God for the other two branches, but it's kinda scary.