Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Poll

Me and the Bean

1 star
- 0 (0%)
2 stars
- 0 (0%)
3 stars
- 1 (14.3%)
4 stars
- 6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 26, 2004, 04:21:39 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'  (Read 6537 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 08:36:46 pm »

It was in "A Clockwork Orange."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 08:43:04 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Damn, I don't even want to know what a 'Steely Dan' is now.

If I'm recalling correctly, "Steely Dan" was the pet name given to a dildo in Naked Lunch.

Also, "Rosebud" was the name of Charles Foster Kane's sled because it was also the pet name William Randolph Hearst gave to a certain particular intimate feature of his mistress. That Orson Welles, he was a rebel.


Also, Verbal Kint was Kaiser Soze.  And Dorothy never left home, she was dreaming the whole time.  And Vader is Luke's father.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 08:44:39 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
It was in "A Clockwork Orange."


No, that was Incense and Peppermints.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 09:08:52 pm »

At the end, Legolas dies.

(Wow, it's a good thing that I'm not the mod here, or else most of this would so be a thread split entitled "*** WARNING *** SPOILERS ***".)
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 09:40:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
If I'm recalling correctly, "Steely Dan" was the pet name given to a dildo in Naked Lunch..


The one in the book was Steely Dan III, if I recall correctly.  Led to some bewildersome ancestry questions for me.

Also, the Belle&Sebastian song/album are named after the band- apparently they were friends, or fans or something (both are veryveryscottish,  anyways)
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 11:00:11 pm »

I thought the band got its name from the B&S album/song.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2004, 11:19:47 pm »

You may well be right.  The world of indie-rock inbreeding is sometimes too much for me.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 11:37:17 pm »

If I'm reading this correctly, isn't the band "Steely Dan" and weren't they around before the B & S crew were born?

Just thinking out loud here. And tucking a Steely Dan into an Arab Strap.
I must have missed something. Steely Dan were Scottish?
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2004, 12:28:33 am »

Just got this today, too!  the packaging is indeed something to marvel at :D

I'm still listening (on track 15 now) ...I'd have to say this is good stuff ...not counting what I already had before, I luuurve tracks 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 14 and 15 best! :)
[edit: okay, add track 17 to that list!  I like those folky country-ish songs]

----

As for the arab strap / b&s song/album thing ...I was aware of the pervy definitions of the term :)
...not sure exactly who took from who or even if they took from each other.  I think arab strap is a better band than b&s though... I do have my share of b&s albums compared to the one arab strap I own, but still, I don't have to skip any songs unlike b&s ..it takes many b&s albums to one arab strap to make me happy :D
the b&s arab strap song was the first I ever heard (back in '98) cause some english guy gave me a mixtape ...that is a good song.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 12:46:03 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
If I'm reading this correctly, isn't the band "Steely Dan" and weren't they around before the B & S crew were born?

Just thinking out loud here. And tucking a Steely Dan into an Arab Strap.
I must have missed something. Steely Dan were Scottish?


Nope, "the band" in question referred to Arab Strap, not Steely Dan.  Sorry about the ambiguity.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 01:25:04 am »

Don't make me drop science. Do not.

Arab Strap the band came before The Boy With The Arab Strap, that wonderful album by Belle & Sebastian. The title track is rumored to be about Arab Strap's lead singer; if you listen to the song (one of B&S's best in my adoring opinion), you'll note that the chorus goes the boy from the Arab Strap at one point. Said lead singer was actually quite incensed at B&S, because quote Arab Strap was on the front of their album in bigger letters than Belle and Sebastian, and that isn't fuck*ng cricket unquote. And then all going on about how Arab Strap fans were mistakenly buying the Belle & Sebastian album.

WAY TO UNDERESTIMATE YOUR FANS, THERE, JACKASS

I've heard Arab Strap and was underwhelmed. Belle & Sebastian, however, are one of my favorite bands, ever. That is the soft dick on this whole situation.

PS Starlight: Skipping songs? Which ones?
PPS Who wouldn't want to be referred to as the boy with the filthy laugh?
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 01:34:52 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
PS Starlight: Skipping songs? Which ones?


Well, I'm mostly talking about their latest release ...I only start realllly liking it at track 6 'I'm a Cuckoo' ..the ones before it were just lacking.
'fold your hands child..' (and did y'all know those are the mum twins on the cover?  I sure didn't...) is the only one I don't skip many songs on though sometimes I skip that one where they do that weird dramatic deep voice... track 3 or 4 maybe?  I forget...

...and really, this doesn't mean I don't like b&s for the record.  hell, I even own Storytelling and that wasn't even a real album!  the only album I don't own is the sinister one... I don't own some of the singles either, but meh.  I hardly buy singles.
anyway, sorry to turn elitist bastard with my remark there... heh
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 01:42:03 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
...though sometimes I skip that one where they do that weird dramatic deep voice... track 3 or 4 maybe?  I forget...


That's okay, kiddo - everyone skips "Beyond the Sunrise".

Quote from: "starlight"
hell, I even own Storytelling and that wasn't even a real album!


Which I downloaded rather than purchased, despite my thirst for new material (and there are some wonderful tracks on that disc) because of the fuck*ng dialogue snippets. Storytelling the movie and Storytelling the album are both pretty damned great in their own rights, but those fuck*ng dialogue snippets - so very inappropriate.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2004, 02:38:27 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
If I'm reading this correctly, isn't the band "Steely Dan" and weren't they around before the B & S crew were born?

Just thinking out loud here. And tucking a Steely Dan into an Arab Strap.
I must have missed something. Steely Dan were Scottish?


Nope, "the band" in question referred to Arab Strap, not Steely Dan.  Sorry about the ambiguity.


But what about Bukakke Fiasco?  Where's the love for the newest, happenin' hypno-jive emo tech-punk power trio from Dayton?  Where, I ask you!  Where?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
I'm Loving 'Me and the Bean'
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2004, 04:36:03 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Quote from: "starlight"
hell, I even own Storytelling and that wasn't even a real album!


Which I downloaded rather than purchased, despite my thirst for new material (and there are some wonderful tracks on that disc) because of the fuck*ng dialogue snippets. Storytelling the movie and Storytelling the album are both pretty damned great in their own rights, but those fuck*ng dialogue snippets - so very inappropriate.


I do admit liking the dialogue snippets when I first got it ..I actually made a mix incorporating some into a new story!  harrr... actually the best clip I used wasn't even from that disc though - dasjackpot ...a friend gave it to me.  if I find it, maybe I'll upload it and post ...very strange yet very addicting :D

I bought the Waking Up To Us single ..that was the most wasted one I got really; I could've just downloaded, but I was stupid then.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up