Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Song Lines  (Read 18923 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004, 08:39:12 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas
You know, he knows just exactly what the facts is
He ain't gonna let those two escape justice
He makes his living off of the people's taxes



Texas.
Facts is.
Justice.
Taxes.


God bless you, Steve Miller.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2004, 08:49:04 pm »

Steve Miller: King of the Slant Rhyme

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2004, 08:54:07 pm »

I am putting myself at risk of incredible bodily pain and mental anguish. Ah, how much I love you people. Ahem:

Quote from: "Kelis"
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like, "It's better than yours."
Damn right, it's better than yours.
I could teach you, but I'd have to charge.



I'd better go listen to something bef--OH MY GOD THE BURNING! MAKE IT STOP!!!


EDIT: STILL WITH THE BURNING!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2004, 10:15:54 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
"Dur Dur D'etre Un Bebe"


Jordy!

French novelty music (cf. Plastic Bertrand) is really something special. (relatedly, as of yesterday, I'm officially bilingual and never have to take French classes again!)
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2004, 10:49:14 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Train's "Drops of Jupiter" is also basically one giant wad of Bad Line.


Along those lines: Eve 6 - Inside Out

"I would swallow my pride, choke on the rinds, but the lack thereof would leave me empty inside"??
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2004, 11:10:17 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
As much as I love Billy Bragg,



There is no other songwriter whom I love as hard as I love Billy Bragg and yet so often want to slap upside the head.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2004, 01:40:48 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Train's "Drops of Jupiter" is also basically one giant wad of Bad Line.


Along those lines: Eve 6 - Inside Out

"I would swallow my pride, choke on the rinds, but the lack thereof would leave me empty inside"??

See, maybe it just comes from the fact that I listened to it a whole lot at age 14, but I've always had a sick affection for that song. Maybe "Drops of Jupiter" came too late?

Wait, "Drops of Jupiter" has both horrible lyrics and perhaps the smarmy song message ("screw your self-actualization and personal goals! Come back to this stinking town and ME, wo-man!"). I don't think it ever would have been good.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2004, 02:19:15 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"


Along those lines: Eve 6 - Inside Out

"I would swallow my pride, choke on the rinds, but the lack thereof would leave me empty inside"??


Whoa, a song where they say 'the lack thereof'?  This has to win some kind of prize.

I have to hear this without paying money for it.  Maybe I will have to finally figure out that illegal downloading of music thing that all you kids today do.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2004, 02:26:48 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"


Along those lines: Eve 6 - Inside Out

"I would swallow my pride, choke on the rinds, but the lack thereof would leave me empty inside"??


Whoa, a song where they say 'the lack thereof'?  This has to win some kind of prize.

I have to hear this without paying money for it.  Maybe I will have to finally figure out that illegal downloading of music thing that all you kids today do.


incoming PM
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2004, 03:02:58 am »

McArthur Park is melting in the dark...

Someone left the cake out in the rain...

Richard Harris -- as a lyricist, he was a great actor.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 03:04:05 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
McArthur Park is melting in the dark...

Someone left the cake out in the rain...

Richard Harris -- as a lyricist, he was a great actor.

Don't forget the "oh, NOOOOOOOOOOO." Makes it.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 04:05:34 am »

I got into a FIGHT with someone because they thought that "MacArthur Park" was the most beautiful song ever. It sucks the testerone out of me.

How about:

Someone's knockin' at the door
somebody's ringin' the bell
Someone's knockin' at the door
somebody's ringin' the bell
Do me a favour open the door and let'em in.

Sister Suzie
brother John
Martin Luther
Phil and Don
Brother Michael
auntie Gin
open the door and let'em in.

Someone's knockin' at the door
somebody's ringin' the bell . . .
Sister Suzie
brother John
Martin Luther
Phil and Don
. . .
Uncle Ernie
auntie Gin
open the door and let'em in.

remember that one, old timers?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 04:16:21 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I got into a FIGHT with someone because they thought that "MacArthur Park" was the most beautiful song ever. It sucks the testerone out of me.


I don't know about most beautiful song ever, but I quite like it.  Sure it's got a cake in the rain, but It's also got a great melody.  It's got majestic swells and a driving beat.  It's got a man called hoss.  It's sung by f'n Dumbledore f'r cryin' out loud.

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
remember that one, old timers? (Let 'em In)


Ok, I don't like this thread anymore.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 04:57:00 am »

You know, previous to this I hadn't connected "MacArthur Park" Harris and "Dumbledore" Harris. And now I can't deconnect them.

"Well, Harry, sometimes in our lives we leave the cake out in the rain. But often the recipe isn't as lost as we would think... chocolate frog?"
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 07:51:18 am »

Well, V, if you have a hankering for the late 60's Richard Harris interpreting Jimmy Webb songs, here are some albums for you:

Amazon Sells Richard Harris Albums
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up