Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Song Lines  (Read 18972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2004, 02:05:02 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
You know, previous to this I hadn't connected "MacArthur Park" Harris and "Dumbledore" Harris. And now I can't deconnect them.


I'm sure that your aware that you're beloved R E M are also big Jimmy Webb fans.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cover version gathering dust in their archives.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2004, 03:03:01 pm »

"Someone left the cake out in the rain... "

What is this originally from?  I only know it from the Brak song "I Love Ya Baby" as seen on Cartoon Planet.

Somebody left a cake, out in the rain... OH NOOOOOOO!
I was gonna eat that cake, but now I don't think I want any...
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2004, 03:43:10 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


remember that one, old timers?


Oh man.  And I thought you were our FRIEND.  What can I find to play that will banish this from my head...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2004, 04:22:50 pm »

"HAHA, you know that one song where it says things are ironic and they're not! IT'S FUNNY, BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT IRONIC! Haha, rain isn't ironic!"
Remember that three year period that, whenever someone said that something was ironic, someone else would say that? God, those were golden years. Never before has one crappy song ruined a literary concept. Well, that song and the appendix to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2004, 04:38:56 pm »

Or just the entire body of "A Heartbreaking Work..."

Man, Eggars is so played out.  A whole bunch of McSweeneys people used to send stuff to Plagiarist.com to try to get me to publish what I believe to be the most inane, sophomoric tripe ever written.

They're like a black hole of funny - the jokes never get out, and it even sucks in some funny around them to make an entire anti-funny zone outside their offices.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2004, 04:59:57 pm »

I thought Heartbreaking Work was fun when it came out; at least, unlike the current crop of hipster autobiographies, it wasn't him basically bragging about all the drugs he used to take. Suddenly, it seems every writer who's just too hip for words has put out a autobiographical novel, only they didn't have anything as interesting as having to raise a 7-year-old when they were 21 happen to them. So they just write about all the drugs they did, and how they got off of them.
Ha, and then You Shall Know...came out, and Eggers was proved to be MORTAL!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2004, 06:37:16 pm »

I don't know if you meant to terrify me, Paul, but a R.E.M. "MacArthur Park" cover might actually be sort of interesting. I could at least put it next to my MP3 of William F. Burroughs doing "Star Me Kitten" as an intriguing novelty.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2004, 06:43:25 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I don't know if you meant to terrify me, Paul, but a R.E.M. "MacArthur Park" cover might actually be sort of interesting.


I thought I made it pretty clear that I actually like the song.  Having it covered by the most excellent REM would be anything but terrifying.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2004, 07:12:17 pm »

I used to have this great double CD of the Temptations and they had a version of 'MacArthur Park' too. Did Shatner ever do a dramatic reading/recording of it? It would be at least as good as his 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'...
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2004, 07:13:40 pm »

A copy of Shatner's "The Transformed Man" album is available to the first three people to PM me.

Man, that felt like a radio station promo.  Awesome.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2004, 10:30:45 pm »

This offer is no longer on the table, as the requisite number have applied.

Thanks, and here's a Certificate of Participation to the rest of you.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2004, 11:40:08 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
William F. Burroughs doing "Star Me Kitten" as an intriguing novelty.


I'm so happy that that exists.  I've always found his version to be utterly charming.  Apparently "utterly charming" is an odd thing to say about Burroughs, but I'm inordinately fond of the guy.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2004, 12:05:00 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
William F. Burroughs doing "Star Me Kitten" as an intriguing novelty.


I'm so happy that that exists.  I've always found his version to be utterly charming.  Apparently "utterly charming" is an odd thing to say about Burroughs, but I'm inordinately fond of the guy.

I think it's his voice. Or the preamble about how the technique was derived from Marlene Dietrich ("not one of my favorite people, but... that's where it came from"). That, and let's face it, "Star Me Kitten" always really wanted to be a spoken-word poem track, not an actual song.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2004, 12:19:14 am »

Or at least not one with the vocals so low in the mix.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Dumb Song Lines
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2004, 05:39:38 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
You know, previous to this I hadn't connected "MacArthur Park" Harris and "Dumbledore" Harris. And now I can't deconnect them.


Off topic: I have this problem with Hugo Weaving.  (Agent Elrond).  "Welcome to Rivendell...Mr. Anderson...the time of men...is over...

On topic: I hereby sumbit all of Muskrat Love:

Muskrat, muskrat candlelight
Doin' the town and doin' it right
In the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'

Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land
And they shimmy
And Sammy's so skinny

And they whirled and they twirled and they tangoed
Singin' and jingin' the jango
Floatin' like the heavens above
It looks like muskrat love

Nibbling on bacon, chewin' on cheese
Sammy says to Susie "Honey, would you please be my missus?"
And she say yes
With her kisses

And now he's ticklin' her fancy
Rubbin' her toes
Muzzle to muzzle, now anything goes
As they wriggle, and Sue starts to giggle

And they whirled and they twirled and they tangoed
Singin' and jingin' the jango
Floatin' like the heavens above
It looks like muskrat love

La da da da da ...


By the time the song ends, "muskrat" has completely ceased to be a word for me.  And the concept of muskrat love simply had to be drug-induced.  I find it disturbing that my earliest memoreis of this song involve my mother singing it as she washed dishes.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up