Okay, folks -- I need help. I've thought about sending this into Ray's Advice, but what with the "blog" thing I suspect I'm better off with the wiser heads here. This may get long and ranty; I'll try to keep it brief.
As most of you have probably surmised by now, I'm a dorm-dwelling college student with a roommate. For the most part, this goes pretty well; the roomie and I get along decently, and we have many mutual friends living nearby. One of these mutual friends, whom I'll call R, lives next door to me and is my major problem.
So: about two weeks ago, my boyfriend J decided to come visit me for a weekend. My roommate has made it quite clear that she didn't want J sleeping in the room; I can accept this, and last time J came down to visit, R agreed to let him sleep on his floor, since R's room is huge and had plenty of space. So, a week or so before the visit, I talk to R about this; he seems more or less willing to help again, so I planned on it. My first mistake.
J arrived on Friday afternoon, and so Friday night, we went to talk to R about the whole thing. To my immense surprise, R told me that J was no longer welcome because R "didn't want anyone else in his room," even though J had nowhere else to go, and informed me flat-out that if I'd thought R would host J again -- or, hell, had actually agreed to help me out -- I was entirely wrong. This led to an argument which eventually led to R throwing and shattering a bottle against the closed door of my room.
I was feeling hurt, betrayed, and revolted -- R had, as far as I'd ever known, made a promise, and if he'd "not wanted anyone else in his room," maybe he should have goddamn said something. J had to sleep in our dorm's skeevy living room, much to his and my worry, and the weekend visit was overall stressful and miserable to the point that we almost ended a four-year relationship over it.
I'll be really blunt: I absolutely cannot stand R anymore. He betrayed my trust, and this whole incident has made me realize in a very real way what an absolute asshole the man is -- he never learned that bluntness isn't a virtue, and apparently he never, ever learned tact, so he's horribly bombastic and often actively offensive to me. (He's been this way all this year; I've just been more forgiving, or perhaps more oblivious, before.) I just cannot take him anymore, to the point of being physically uncomfortable in prolonged proximity to him talking.
The problem? R is a good friend of my roommate and of the other friends of mine in this dorm, so I'm really afraid that actually expressing anger towards him -- or doing what I really want to do, which is tell him off and then never speak to him again -- will backlash on me. To put it plainly, I have a sick suspicion that they'll take his side over mine. They defend him constantly -- "well, yeah, he can be thoughtless, but that's just his way." I don't want to be entirely alone here.
I realize what I should probably do is just grit my teeth and endure R for one more semester, after which he'll go abroad and I at least won't be living with him, but the upcoming semester looms bleakly ahead if I have to keep myself bottled up and interact civilly with The Asshole. I'm paralyzed with fear -- fear of ostracism or of nervous breakdown.
The one thing I think I really can't do is actually make up with R. I just can't go back; I refuse to let myself be friends with someone who walked all over me and almost cost me my boyfriend. I hate R... yet I can't get away from him.
So, there's my tale of woe. Any insights? I'd really appreciate any help.