I heartily agree with those who recommend Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and also applaud those who mentioned Epicurious as an invaluable resource. I also subscribe to Bon Appetit (from which I often cook) and Cook's Illustrated (because it's impossible to make up decent recipes from scratch without understanding the chemistry of food). But, I think Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks -- particularly the big red-and-white-check-covered volume -- are often underrated. Sure, a lot of the recipes are things you probably learned how to make from your mother, but they go over a lot of the basics and contain a surprising variety of different types of cuisines. They are also the most user-friendly of all my cookbooks: they include copious photographs, they include estimated prep and cooking times, all nutritional information is provided, and they serve as a reference for a lot of techniques that other cookbooks assume a competent chef would know (pitting mangoes, de-boning chicken, etc.) This makes them excellent for beginners. And the smaller, specialized cookbooks are quick and easy to thumb through when you're in the mood for something specific -- and cheaper than the comparable Williams-Sonoma cookbooks. I often buy the BH&G New Cookbook (I think it's in the 12th edition now) for younger friends and relatives who are just getting their first apartments, but recommend Bittman's book to experienced chefs who are experimenting with new ingredients.