Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Anorak": A Query  (Read 3269 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
"Anorak": A Query
« on: February 02, 2004, 02:34:18 pm »

Also, when did anorak become synonymous nerd/geekdom?  

I'm not saying it isn't an apt neologism, I'd just like to know the derivation.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 02:39:37 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

I'm not saying it isn't an apt neologism, I'd just like to know the derivation.


I think probably from train spotters, who tend to be camped out on the platform with their packed lunch, thermos and pad & pen while wearing an anorak. Usually of the blue variety.
Also most of the other deeply sad, out door style, nerd driven hobbies, tend to involve anoraks.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 02:44:36 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I think probably from train spotters, who tend to be camped out on the platform with their packed lunch, thermos and pad & pen while wearing an anorak. Usually of the blue variety.


Ooo train spotters, I didn't realize they actually existed, but I saw a pair sat on the bench next to me at the station in Cardiff.  Yep, they were both wearing blue jackets.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 05:25:24 pm »

Quote from: "slink"


Also most of the other deeply sad, out door style, nerd driven hobbies, tend to involve anoraks.


I don't think of nerds as outdoorsy, what other hobbies?  Waiting in line overnight for the opening of movies?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 06:00:20 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"

I don't think of nerds as outdoorsy, what other hobbies?  Waiting in line overnight for the opening of movies?


That's only nerdy if it's a really bad movie. And it's less of a hobby. I'd hope.
I was thinking more of rambling (hillwalking that kinda thing) and bird watching.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 06:45:02 pm »

What's an Anorak? Is it like a sweatshirt jacket with a hood? I picture eskimos and furry hoods with this term, which are geeky but don't fit this discussion well. Also, the 'American Movie' guy seems typically to wear that hoodie sort of thing also.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 06:46:51 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What's an Anorak? Is it like a sweatshirt jacket with a hood? I picture eskimos and furry hoods with this term, which are geeky but don't fit this discussion well. Also, the 'American Movie' guy seems typically to wear that hoodie sort of thing also.

It's a very British/Canadian term for a heavy parka-ish sort of thing. As mentioned, very popular among trainspotters and other individuals who are the British equivalent of the Comic Book Guy, hence the slang connotations.

(I've been using "anorakish" a lot lately, so I've had to explain it a few times. Although I should really just let our esteemed British contingent take care of it...)
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
"Anorak": A Query
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 08:38:30 pm »

anorak.

Apparently I'm all about the terse link-posts today.  Sleep deficit and coffee surplus.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1]   Go Up