Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent  (Read 13444 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« on: February 02, 2004, 06:38:03 pm »

Does anyone know what the Groundhog saw this morning?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 08:33:46 pm »

For the record, I live nowhere near Punxsutawney, and we in eastern PA think those in the west are a little screwy.

For insance, in Philly to ask either an individual or a group of people of their current condition, we would ask "How youse doin'?" (figureing that 'youse' is plural for 'you' - just add an s).

Down south they may ask "How y'all doin'?" or in Texas, "How y'all are?"  But 'y'all' is a contraction for 'you all' and makes linguistic sense.

In Pittsburgh they ask "How yuntz?"

Huh?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 09:01:50 pm »

Out here in Pidgin Land the greeting has been reduced to

Howzit, Brah?

Or Howzit Cuz? You go store, Yah?

Run, Run Run, fas' as I can - you no catch me, I one Musubi man!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 09:34:13 pm »

Eastern PA people just don't appreciate the complexity of meteorology via marmot. You guys's schools must be terrible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get some pop from the fridge then run the sweeper before I red the table. And pierogies for dinner! Whoo!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 02:04:33 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
More snow for those poor bastards that live in those ungodly places that actually have weather.



I am the last person who would want a largish rodent to be embarassed in public.  BUT PLEASE GOD LET HIM BE WRONG I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 03:01:07 am »

Actually, where I am, it's getting all great and sunny for the beginning of our new semester.  It makes me drive fast and smile a lot, and I don't even like the sun.  I feel quite manipulated.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 03:48:12 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I don't even like the sun.


Who loves the sun?  Me, I do.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 04:14:22 am »

Quote from: "Lou Reed"
Who cares that it makes plants grow?
Who cares what it does since you BROKE MY HEART...
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 04:45:52 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Eastern PA people just don't appreciate the complexity of meteorology via marmot. You guys's schools must be terrible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get some pop from the fridge then run the sweeper before I red the table. And pierogies for dinner! Whoo!


IT'S OK, Y'ALL!  I SPEAK YANKEE!  

What he said was:

Pardon me, I'ma get some soda from the icebox, then vacuum before I set the dishes.  And collards for supper!  Yee-haw!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 05:39:39 am »

Pierogies are ravioli-like potato dumplings filled with meat or other things that Polish people like to eat.  Not collards.  Someone needs to brush up on their Yankee.

Not that there's anything wrong with collards, especially if you cook them with enough ham, bacon or other salty pork product.  However, no okra please.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 06:23:17 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Lou Reed"
Who cares that it makes plants grow?
Who cares what it does since you BROKE MY HEART...

Ba ba ba ba, not everyone.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 11:48:37 am »

Hey, apparently that groundhog is only right 44% of the time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2004, 03:09:00 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Lou Reed"
Who cares that it makes plants grow?
Who cares what it does since you BROKE MY HEART...


Severe depression makes for a great song, but's not a good way to go through life.

I don't know if you're depressed Andalucia, but obviously the protaganist of the above quoted song is.

~Paul

I need to laugh and when the sun is out
I've got something I can laugh about
I feel good in a special way
I'm in love and it's a sunny day

Good Day Sunshine
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 03:14:01 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Pierogies are ravioli-like potato dumplings filled with meat or other things that Polish people like to eat.  Not collards.  Someone needs to brush up on their Yankee.

Not that there's anything wrong with collards, especially if you cook them with enough ham, bacon or other salty pork product.  However, no okra please.


I think JL was simply inserting a regional southern dish in place of a regional northern dish.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 03:41:07 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Limmo"
Pierogies are ravioli-like potato dumplings filled with meat or other things that Polish people like to eat.  Not collards.  Someone needs to brush up on their Yankee.

Not that there's anything wrong with collards, especially if you cook them with enough ham, bacon or other salty pork product.  However, no okra please.


I think JL was simply inserting a regional southern dish in place of a regional northern dish.

~Paul


Exactly.  

As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up