Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent  (Read 13441 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2004, 04:01:21 pm »

Oh my god, man. I miss collard greens so much.
Oh, South! I will return to you SO SOON!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2004, 04:09:42 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Severe depression makes for a great song, but's not a good way to go through life.

I don't know if you're depressed Andalucia, but obviously the protaganist of the above quoted song is.


Paul, you said "Who loves the sun?" which is the title of a Velvet Underground song.  Those lyrics above are from that song.

And it's really a catchy upbeat number.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2004, 04:13:00 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Oh my god, man. I miss collard greens so much.
Oh, South! I will return to you SO SOON!


Personally, I'm far more partial to turnip greens.  Few more weeks and I can be planting some.  And some lettuce, too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 04:18:00 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Severe depression makes for a great song, but's not a good way to go through life.

I don't know if you're depressed Andalucia, but obviously the protaganist of the above quoted song is.


Paul, you said "Who loves the sun?" which is the title of a Velvet Underground song.  Those lyrics above are from that song.

And it's really a catchy upbeat number.


I think it's ironic.  The tune is upbeat, very Beach Boysesque, but the lyrics are anything but.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2004, 04:24:48 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Eastern PA people just don't appreciate the complexity of meteorology via marmot. You guys's schools must be terrible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get some pop from the fridge then run the sweeper before I red the table. And pierogies for dinner! Whoo!


IT'S OK, Y'ALL!  I SPEAK YANKEE!  

What he said was:

Pardon me, I'ma get some soda from the icebox, then vacuum before I set the dishes.  And collards for supper!  Yee-haw!


Close. "Red" means clear off/out. So you could also say, "Billy, red off your dresser! You can't see the top" or "red out the car so I can vacuum it out."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 04:27:36 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I think it's ironic.  The tune is upbeat, very Beach Boysesque, but the lyrics are anything but.


This is a song on the High Fidelity soundtrack.  The great thing about that soundtrack is half the songs are from bands doing their best VU impersonation and then we get the real deal doing the most un VU like track (except for the ironic lyrics) they ever recorded.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2004, 04:28:07 pm »

Ah.  So I should have said, "Afore I carry away the dishes."  

I must admit, that one I've not heard.  But then again, folks around these parts don't have a photo taken, they have a picture made.  

Make sure you cut out the lights before you leave.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 04:38:06 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Close. "Red" means clear off/out. So you could also say, "Billy, red off your dresser! You can't see the top" or "red out the car so I can vacuum it out."


Ah, I get it, Red is Rid, as in rid the table of junk so I can set the dishes.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2004, 05:06:04 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.


Oof.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2004, 05:07:26 pm »

100 pounds of kielbasa?  I want to party with you!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2004, 05:16:29 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.


Were you in one of Ray's movies?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2004, 05:57:04 pm »

Well, it was a wedding.  There were in excess of 350 people there.  

We Pollacks have big weddings.  Mostly because we have big families.  In every sense of the word.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2004, 06:53:57 pm »

350 people?!?  Zounds.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2004, 07:57:50 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.

There is something about this that brings tears to my eyes with its cosmic rightness. I think I've officially been assimilated into the Midwest.

(Or maybe I'm just reminded of the reception after my grandfather's funeral, which involved massive quantities of Amorphous Beef in Sauce and similarly-prepared potatoes. The leftovers, of course, were packed up for Grandma so she'd have something to feed the relatives trickling in for the next few weeks.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2004, 09:54:06 pm »

Did you have the thing where you have to put some money in donation box and do a shot to dance with the bride? In the highly german/polish area I'm from this, along with open bar, defines the term "wedding reception"
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up