Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I buy SimCity 4 or Uru?  (Read 1968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Should I buy SimCity 4 or Uru?
« on: February 03, 2004, 09:45:47 pm »

I'm not a huge gamer. I've realized that I hit my peak with console games at Dr. Mario, and I'm slowly coming to accept that. But I want a new game. I'm a huge SimCity nerd (in the 6th grade I used to plan my cities out on huge taped-together sheets of graph paper), but I also really dug the original Myst. For the record, my computer is a rawkin' G4 mac laptop with a ge force sumthinorother and a whole lotta ram (did I mention that I'm not a gamer?) What should I get?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Should I buy SimCity 4 or Uru?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 10:19:07 pm »

Ew... Mac... *cough* *splutter*.
I'm done.

Well, I used to dig sim city, but with 4 I found myself getting bored quickly, but if you dig it, you'll no doubt love it.
As for Uru, I haven't played it yet, but it got some fantastic reviews, so it may be worth getting if you liked the others. Check Penny Arcade for their talk of it, and generally if they speak well of a game it means bodes well.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Should I buy SimCity 4 or Uru?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 10:30:45 pm »

I've not played Uru, but I really, really want to.  

If you decide on Sim City 4, definitely get the Deluxe Edition (the one with both the original and the Rush Hour expansion pack).  I have played it both with and without the XP and without it does get boring.  I was Sim-obsessed for a number of years and I can tell you that SC4 is supremely satisfying and highly intuitive.  

I would suggest SC4 over Uru simply for sheer replayability value, particularly if you're "not a gamer."  When you're done with Uru, it's over, but when you finish one city in SC4 (and is a city ever really finished?), there are other cities in the region that beg for your attention.  Since the cities in a region are interconnected, I play several at once -- a sprawling suburb here, a farm community there, all centered around a massive, towering skyline amid a bustling metropolis.  Going back and forth between several cities is nice, I think, because you can play according to your mood.  

But let's hear from someone who's played Uru?  

I'll try to find reviews in my back issues of PC Gamer.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Should I buy SimCity 4 or Uru?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 11:17:27 am »

Hey, I like my mac. I get to putz around with perl scripts and ssh into my old university computers right from the dock, ferchrissakes. And it looks so cute!

And I couldn't find any mention of Uru at Penny Arcade. I don't remember them talking about it - anybody got a link?

Thanks for your help!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up