Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Obligatory Dream Thread  (Read 22217 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2004, 09:25:08 pm »

I slept in fits and starts last night, which oddly enough resulted in my remembering a really hellacious amount of one long, weird dream.

The dream was about my flying home for Spring Break (IRL, this will happen next weekend). I realized how weird it was just to be met by my mother at the airport. Mom and I then drove away from the airport, and I sat in the car thinking about being on vacation; it seemed really quite transgressive. Strangely, we were driving through classical "California driving" movie sets, and eventually we passed into a Bryce-Canyon-style collection of ravines and pink rock formations; we got out of the car and started moving through them on foot. Up close, I realized that the patterns on the rocks were actually painted on, so evidently we were walking through a gigantic stage set, or perhaps an amusement park; eventually we were on the center platform of one of those elaborate playground structures, set up sort of like a maze of ladders and slides. I suggested a way down, and maybe we went down or didn't, but the next thing I remember my mother was joking with another set of people about the long and dangerous ways we'd be taking home (a rocket to Beirut came up). I was worried about this, but in the next "scene" I can remember, we were back in Lincoln.

For some reason, in Lincoln we decided to go shopping at this very chintzy, Afterthoughts-sort-of kiosk place; I distinctly remember thinking despairingly in the dream that this was the only place to shop in town. I saw a necklace which I was interested, a sort of solid brass wire with heavy hematite carved beads, and tried it on; it looked hideous on, but Mom and I resolved that we would go somewhere else to look for hematite jewelry, which is where the dream ended.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2004, 11:41:55 pm »

I don't remember my dreams very often, but I did this morning.

I dreamed I had gotten a tattoo of a rose, right below my current tattoo (a yin-yang about the size of dime on my left shoulder.)  The rose had a little banner which read "173" in front of it.  173 had some symbolic significance which was clear to me as I was being tattooed.  However, I immediately forgot its special meaning.

As I awoke and the dream was ending, I was very concerned about showing my new acquisition to Mrs. West.  I didn't know how I'd explain the "173".

It was very real, and I looked at my arm to make sure the rose wasn't there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2004, 11:57:19 pm »

One recurring nightmare I have is that I have to sleep in a basement bedroom full of dog and feces.  God I hate that dream.  

Oh, and I had an Achewood dream the other night.  Phillipe was really afraid of a bat racist against *****s that had gotten loose in his room, so Lie Bot had to go in there, kill the bat and comfort Phillipe.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2004, 12:09:31 am »

Not long after 9/11 I had a dream that I was stuck in one of the dorms at UW after a plane had crashed into it, and we all knew it was all a matter of time before it would collapse, killing us all.  I was oddly philosophical about dying but was still pleasantly surprised when I walked out of the building with nary a scratch.  

Come to think about it, I have appocalyptic dreams rather often.  Most of the time it's your run of the mill nuclear blast - but never about the aftermath.  Usually I know an attack is imminent but am unable to do anything about it.  When I was in high school, I dreamed that terrorists had set off nuclear weapons in Paris and Cheyenne.  Since Cheyenne is just 45 miles over the hill from where I live, evacuation was a rather high priority.  My main worry was not being able to get on the same refugee bus with this girl I had a crush on at the time.  

Weirdest of all was a dream I had in the spring of 1992 about the Bosnian war spreading to Wyoming.  Laramie looked just like Sarejevo and there were Serb soldiers in the streets.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2004, 01:40:37 am »

I don't know about 173 - but the number "137" has a great significance to physicists.

In fact, if you're ever in need of a physicist, you can write "137" on a sign and hold it up in an intersection in any major city.  Someone with a great deal of knowledge about physics will come to your aid.

I HAVE TRIED THIS AND IT WORKS

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2004, 01:57:42 am »

Are you going to share why 137 is significant to physicists?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2004, 03:26:58 am »

And 143 used to mean "I love you" back in the mid 90's when freaking everybody had a pager but not yet a cell phone.

Edit: Google owns us all: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae186.cfm
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2004, 03:46:59 am »

Damn, I've got a degree in physics and I didn't even make the connection.  Of course, I was a horrible physics major....and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.

Ah, stupidity and drunkenness will always be my excuse....
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2004, 04:24:16 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.



Ah, Ancient Age, my utility Bourbon.  I drive by the distillery on my way to work.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2004, 05:46:37 am »

Physics is kinda a hobby.

Yeah, geek am I.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2004, 08:38:01 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.


Ah, Ancient Age, my utility Bourbon.  I drive by the distillery on my way to work.


This is probably not quite as pleasant as it sounds, is it.

Quote from: "jough"
Physics is kinda a hobby.


Appearantly Jough does not need more science (but I do)
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2004, 09:17:05 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.


Ah, Ancient Age, my utility Bourbon.  I drive by the distillery on my way to work.


This is probably not quite as pleasant as it sounds, is it.


While going to work is occasionally unpleasant, the distillery is pretty much inoffensive.  Sometimes it emits this yeasty smell which I find pleasant.  And the warehouses are more picturesque than say, an oil refinery.

Also, I suppose it's a matter of being used to them.  There's a different distillery (Jim Beam) right across the road from my office.  Old Taylor, Old Crow and Old Grand Dad are on the edge of town.  About  5 miles from them is the Labrot and Graham/Woodford Reserve distillery.  Wild Turkey is about 10 miles south of that.  Those are all within a 15 mile or so radius of Frankfort.  You've got similar situations around Bardstown, Louisville and Owensboro.  So distilleries are a pretty common sight around here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2004, 09:33:17 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
While going to work is occasionally unpleasant, the distillery is pretty much inoffensive.  Sometimes it emits this yeasty smell which I find pleasant.  And the warehouses are more picturesque than say, an oil refinery.


Who says an oil refinery isn't picturesque?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2004, 09:46:41 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"


Who says an oil refinery isn't picturesque?

~Paul


This passes for a park here in Seattle.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Obligatory Dream Thread
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2004, 02:26:18 am »

I attempted to read the explanation of 137 and froze a half-paragraph in. I still have a physics phobia, engendered by a truly hateful high-school physics teacher; I am worried that this might cripple my whole science-grad-school idea, but... c'est la vie.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up