Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ache-Head DC Field Trip  (Read 21059 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 01:11:09 am »

Oooh, this just happens to correspond with a scheduled long weekend. I may be up for a little drive...
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 02:02:51 am »

Teaism = badness. At least for me because I don't like tea.

If Courthouse is doable there's a mexican place called Guajillo between Courthouse and Rosslyn that is pretty authentic. Or at least my mexican friends tell me. Lauriol Plaza in Adam's Morgan is pretty good too.

Sadly the best indian is at a placed called Bajara way out in Ashburn.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2004, 02:15:43 am »

Wow, good gravy!  Thanks for all the tips -- keep them coming!  Unfortunately my midwestern tongue can't handle Mexican food or anything too spicy -- so I have to be careful of Indian and Chinese as well.  But I'd definitely love to do a zoo trip and then supper afterwards.  Let me plan the rest of my trip and we'll see how much time I have on Sunday.  It would be great if Mite and V could come down.  Maybe Doomglobe can make it, too...hey, Jough, you know you want to join us...it's not *that* far...

Who else?  Bozack, can you afford a bus ticket?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 02:29:57 am »

My midwestern tongue is addicted to those things. We sophisticates call them 'flavors'.

I swear, every Polack I meet (wife excluded) is a damn food Philistine.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2004, 03:17:30 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I have to be careful of Indian and Chinese?


Egad.  Even Cantonese?
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2004, 04:15:54 am »

Cantonese is fine.  I like savory, rich foods, even highly seasoned -- especially garlic and ginger -- but for some reason, hot peppery flavors bother me.  Chili peppers, cayenne pepper, etc.  I can eat small doses of chipotles (if it's combined with something creamy or cheesy) and I use red peppers all the time, but green peppers neither taste nor smell good to me.  I do use chili oil in cooking, since it's an essential ingredient in many asian dishes, and I add cayenne to recipes when it's called for, but I start with half the normal amount and add more to taste.  Paprika, on the other hand, is fine in any amount -- even the hot Hungarian variety.  

Odd, I know.  It's just a pepper thing for me.  

Also, I can't stand tomatoes in any solid form.  Purees are OK, but diced, stewed, sundried, or otherwise served in slices, pieces, or chunks is a big no-no.  I used to be a highly picky eater, but spicy peppers and tomatoes are two of the few remaning bastions of my pickiness.  

Also, broccoli.  Plegh.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2004, 04:53:40 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Also, I can't stand tomatoes in any solid form.  Purees are OK, but diced, stewed, sundried, or otherwise served in slices, pieces, or chunks is a big no-no.  I used to be a highly picky eater, but spicy peppers and tomatoes are two of the few remaning bastions of my pickiness.


This makes me sad.  Tomatoes are the worlds greatest food.  I love them and eat them at every opportunity.  Fresh from the vine season is fast approaching.  It's the best time of the year.  What's my favorite time of the year?  Christmas? Halloween?  Hell no, it's when the tomatoes are vine ripe.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2004, 05:31:21 am »

Dammit, people, now I am going to be making inquiries.

Damn you all to hell!
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2004, 02:50:24 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Sadly the best indian is at a placed called Bajara way out in Ashburn.


Ever been to Dehli Dhaba in Clarendon?  Goooooooood.  and cheap.  and they show Bollywood videos in the dining room.

If you want a more proper table-service place, go to Haandi in Falls Church.

Agree on Teaism--I'm not into tea either.  I had the nerve to go in there and ask for coffee.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 04:32:20 pm »

Congratulations, carlosdelvaca, on being elected as the mayor of banana town.  

Heaven forbid you should change your avatar, or this post will abruptly cease to make sense.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2004, 05:31:55 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Sadly the best indian is at a placed called Bajara way out in Ashburn.


Ever been to Dehli Dhaba in Clarendon?  Goooooooood.  and cheap.  and they show Bollywood videos in the dining room.


?! We order Dehli Dhaba for delivery when desperate but in general they do not impress me at all. I've found frozen indian at Whole Foods that's better than that.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2004, 08:26:25 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Congratulations, carlosdelvaca, on being elected as the mayor of banana town.


Despite rumors to the contrary, I did not just buy a crown at the Costume Palace, and ask people to start calling me the Mayor of Banana Town.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 11:16:20 pm »

Okay, kids.  I bit the bullet and bought a DC city guide, and I'm planning our weekend as we speak.  I'll be dragging Pedro through every monument, memorial, government building, and historic site I can think of on Friday before the wedding rehersal, and Sunday afternoon we'll be hitting the Smithsonium.  (Smithsonii?  Smithsones?)  But, but, on Sunday, March 7, we'll be taking the Red Line to Woodley Park around 2 PM to visit the small mammal house and everybody's favorite Wombat.  What I'd like to do is meet at the SMH, visit Wommie, see the animals, and then, when she gets off work at 3, we can all see the rest of the animals for a few hours.  It's my understanding that the zoo buildings close at 4:30 while the grounds stay open 'til 6, so I was thinking that we could hit up Meskerem for an early supper somewhere between 5 and 5:30.  After that, Pedro and I will probably take the metro back towards the Mall to see the monuments again -- I've only seen them during the day and I hear Lincoln is particuarly spectacular after dark.  Anyone wishing to accompany us is welcome, as long as you promise not to laugh at my elaborate timetables and color-coded maps.  

I swear, I missed my calling as a concierge.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 11:45:58 pm »

I was just about to say, it's scary how much organisation you put into things.
I just go places and see what happens, but then I'm really lazy and have no memory, so I tend to even forget what things there are to do.

Well, yea...

Anyway, hope it'll be good and you have to steal me a naked mole rat or something.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 12:05:16 am »

That sounds fine to me.  In reality there isn't that much to see after the buildings close at 4.30, but if you're thinking of dinner at 5 or 5.30 you'd be leaving around then anyway.  

Can anyone who's thinking of coming let me know here or by PM?  I need to make sure my boss knows the time and date and a rough number of people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up