Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ache-Head DC Field Trip  (Read 21138 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2004, 12:08:30 am »

PS. No stealing mole rats... but there will definitely be photographs posted.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2004, 12:19:52 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
PS. No stealing mole rats...


But the could fit in my shirt pocket and look so cool. They could be my minions of.... nudity. Or something. And hey, who doesn't want that!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2004, 12:33:34 am »

I'm going. I also took of Monday just in case (and because I have a crapton of leave this year. A metric crapton).

I think it's technically Smithsonian Institution museums or some such phrasing.

And the Lincoln is even cooler now because they triangulated the step where MLK gave the speech and put an inscription there. But that's better in the day.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2004, 01:27:12 am »

I am professionally obligated to point out that you may only keep a mole rat in your pocket if your pocket is large enough to contain a couple of dozen of them.  They need to live in colonies, if they are separated from the colony they will die.

I have never seen the monuments at night.  I've only lived here for ten years, I've been, um, busy I guess.  I've seen pictures.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2004, 01:51:54 am »

I've never seen the monuments at night either, in person.  Weird.

Anyway, I'll probably be there.  What the hell.  I'll have to leave earlyish though (well, early enough to catch the train back to Philly).

When is this thing again?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2004, 02:29:53 am »

Hmm, according to Mapquest, ATL to DC is a 10.5 hour drive. For me, should be more like 9 hours. I'm ALL ABOUT this. Choop - wanna share a ride?

Also, is there a cheap-ass motel within the city anyplace that's not too shady? I'm really a Motel 6 kinda girl.

And the monuments at night rawk, as the kids say. Especially the Korean War Memorial. Freaked the living crap out of me when I was 15.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2004, 03:20:29 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Also, is there a cheap-ass motel within the city anyplace that's not too shady? I'm really a Motel 6 kinda girl.


There are a bunch right around the Crystal City mall (in VA) which should be quite metro-accessible. In fact several hotels there are connected to it via a tunnel system.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2004, 03:25:43 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
I'm really a Motel 6 kinda girl.


That sounds really bad out of context.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2004, 03:32:08 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Choop - wanna share a ride?


Damn, wouldn't you know it, but I'll be in Cancún. Yes, yes, drinking margaritas and cheladas and eating real tacos and chilling poolside. Heh. Sorry.


Really, though, I hate to have to miss this, but as the missus can't take vacay except when her boss is gone from the office for an extended period, we can't really reschedule at this point.

Next time: Totally there. I hope.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2004, 03:49:32 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I've never seen the monuments at night either, in person.  Weird.

Anyway, I'll probably be there.  What the hell.  I'll have to leave earlyish though (well, early enough to catch the train back to Philly).

When is this thing again?


March 7.  

Woo!  How exciting!  

We're taking the train from Raleigh.  It's about 5 hours by car, and the same by train.  

I've just been sent a love note via network printer.  I'd best go...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2004, 06:06:42 am »

It's about 8 hours to Raleigh from Philly - not a pleasant trip.  Last time I rode the train there it was the beginning of October and the leaves were all gorgeous.  I should've brought my computer with me, though.  The novel and notepad just weren't doing it for me.

The train from here to D.C. is about three hours.  Not bad, but it's only about two hours by car.  Don't ask me why I can drive it faster than the train can go.

Anyway, with the old eyes getting worse I can't really drive.  So it'll have to be the train.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2004, 04:35:48 pm »

Oh man, poor Choop.  He's going to be in Cancun instead of coming to freezing cold Washington DC and getting to meet me and Jough and.... Oh wait a minute...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2004, 05:18:24 pm »

March 7th, you say? I will just be pulling into Portland after the drive about the time you folks are at the zoo. Thanks for the thought, but I wouldn't trade for the world. If one of these happens on the west coast sometime, though, I'd be fully up to it as long as it was during the time I'm home from work.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Evander

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2004, 07:14:45 pm »

I only work Wednesdays, I can probably show up.
Logged

Evander

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
Ache-Head DC Field Trip
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2004, 07:17:41 pm »

Hmmm...

On second thought, this seems to be happening the same weekend as my grandfather's 90th birthday party.  I'll still be in town, but I am not quite sure of my schedule.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up