Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: computer traveling information  (Read 2641 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
computer traveling information
« on: February 07, 2004, 07:27:20 pm »

OK, so I'm moving 2500 miles away or so, and I'm driving down with a U-Haul trailer. It seems to me I read a tip in a PC magazine somewhere that there's an .exe file or something that retracts moving parts inside a computer for moving. Does this ring a bell for anyone? Any help would be much appreciated.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
computer traveling information
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 08:08:43 pm »

The only moving part that retracts is the hard drive read/write head, and since 1995 all of them will automatically spin down and retract the head when you shut down your computer properly.

Being one who's moved quite a bit in the past few years, the only tips you really need to know are:

1) The colder the better - computers hate heat.
2) Avoid dropping any part of the computer onto a hard surface.

Otherwise, you should be fine.  I always move my computers myself, even if I hire a moving company.  I wouldn't trust anyone else to not destroy them.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
computer traveling information
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 08:09:10 pm »

Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
computer traveling information
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 08:10:09 pm »

I'm not aware of such a thing, and I wouldn't have thought such a thing was possible. If it is, then damn I need to do it, 'cause I travel with mine fairly often.
Basically though the best alternative is to remove the hard drives, and put them in bubble wrap. If they're in the case you're far more likely to headcrash them if you hit a really hefty bump.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
computer traveling information
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 11:35:25 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for the info. If I could have remembered the name, I would have been able to search for it, I guess. I guess I'm going to have to trust the current information that I can find, which indicates that my computer is an automatic park and lock system, as Jough indicated, and therefore doesn't need it. I'm hoping that's true, because I can't find it anywhere. Isn't it fun when you find a website that gives you just enough information to convince you that the person writing knows the answer to your question, but doesn't actually answer your question? Anyway, it'll be plenty cold, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I have the original packaging, and I'm going to put the boxes on top of my mattress for extra cushiony goodness. I'm also going to be invoking the name of my personal deity constantly.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up