Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great song lines...  (Read 7565 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Great song lines...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 07:50:18 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

I know! *shakes head* I thought of that while listening to it just after I posted last night. It's one of my favourite lines.
Also I reall, really like the lyrics to Jolene from their first album.

"Jolene" is also awesome, although "I Bombed Korea" barely beats it out as my favorite song from Motorcade of Generosity.

Also, "Meanwhile, Rick James..." is some sort of act of God. As are "Pretty Pink Ribbon" and "World of Two" -- well, okay, like most of Comfort Eagle...

Anyway, to get off of the (admittedly well-deserved) Cakelove, I will say that I've always loved the lyrics of Ben Folds (with and without the Five). Rockin' the Suburbs is particularly distinguised for containing within it a few tiny rock operas, as well as "Fred Jones Pt. 2":

There's nobody left here who knows his first name
And life barrels on like a runaway train
Where the passengers change; they don't change anything,
You get off, someone else will get on...
And I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, it's time
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Great song lines...
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 01:23:26 am »

So how about it?
Show me please how I will look in twenty years
And let me please,
Interpret history in every line and scar that's painted
There in front of me.


- Belle & Sebastian, "Slow Graffiti"

Interrupting my train of Thought
Lines
Of Longitude and Latitude
Define, Refine
My Altitude


- Wire, "Map Ref 41N 93W"
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Great song lines...
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 12:00:33 pm »

Caiiin't seem to sleep yet and have been listening to some music.. thought I'd post some lyrics:

Short snippets:
"I'm ok
I feel good
I can breathe
fill my soul
I'm ok
feeling good
why do I
swim in blood?" - Fluorescences by Stereolab

"Giving into love and sharing my time
letting someone into my misery
I told it all step by step
how I landed on the island
and how i swam across the sea
and it crosses my mind
that I may wake to a knife in me" - Medicine Bottle by Red House Painters

"We know who you are
I read your palm while you
were sleeping
and I read through your diary
and the secrets you've been keeping
we were already aware of
and now for dinner and maybe
tomorrow we'll have a drink" - CUNT Hill by Red House Painters (this was the first song I heard by them ...fell in love with the lyrics.. there are other good bits, too)

"Your boy is like a memory,
with some sense of touch and a melody.
Your girl, she's a renegade,
a hurricane that keeps you there, safe..." - Look Up by Stars

"Give me some chemicals
I want to run into.." - Run Into Flowers by M83 (I find the whole thing very sexy as it's repeated over and over.. hah.  hopefully this is correct; I went by ear since there are none I can find online.. really, this is the only song with lyrics on that album really... beyond mumbled stuff in America and the beginner clip...)

"I've been alone since '89" - cause = time by Broken Social Scene (there are other good bits, but since I'm not playing it right now and I cannot find *one* lyric page online that has this song, this'll do... one bad thing about liking slightly obscure music.. hah)

Two full lyrics:
Seal this envelope with a heart that's been
beaten black--beaten blue
beaten all over again
don't leave out a single thing
send it off with wings
an anecdote to ease the pain that you feel
every time that you smile at the mirror

I wont need anymore memories
for the next 50 years
I could still write you love songs
I wont need anymore photographs
to remember the color of the clothes you wore that night

Hopefully this won't sound as bad
as I'm sure that it is
all results will be lifeless and lead to an excuse
to never try again,
to never try at all
staring up at the ground
because oh how we tried
and oh how you lied
but how could that be true

I wont need anymore memories
for the next 50 years I could still write you love songs
I wont need anymore photographs
to remember the color that your eyes changed with the color of your hair
my heart is gone
my heart is grey - The Color That Your Eyes Changed With The Color of Your Hair by Carissa's Wierd (one of my all time fav. songs by them... before I even knew what they were mumbling, I'd still yell the last two lines)



Let's go out and dance, darling
Our last of days
And grace the game with a blindfold on
The cheaters came to play
And outside the soft-handed boys
Screaming cars and all their speed
Music, math, a hero beggin change
His sword across his knees

And how he prays to find a man to blame
For every sleepless night he spends
And for every well that he warned me of
But wound up falling in
And then for the kids beneath the balcony
Who disregard the rain
To make sure the king won't grant
The dead man one more day

Let's go out and see darling
What shines tonight
And temper your dream about the dying hoss
With traffic, noise, and light
And somewhere the soft-handed boys,
Bleeding hearts, and worker bees
Give to the holy mother begging change
Christ across her knees

And oh how she prays to find a man to blame
For every loveless night she waits
And for every gun that she frowned upon
But still some fucker made
And then for the kid beneath the balcony
Behind the garbage can
Who waits for the king to come
And hold his sweating hand - Beneath the Balcony by Iron & Wine (this is a recent good one for me...)

---

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I'm finally getting a bit tired... maybe I'll type up more at another time.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Great song lines...
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 10:53:25 pm »

I'm waiting for the bus to come, I'm lying on a bench
Thinking of a book I read and wondering what it meant
I hear footsteps coming closer, it's an ordinary man
He comes up to me, shakes my hand, and asks me who I am
I'm paralyzed, I can't talk or move, what could I say?
And before I have a chance to think I tell this man my name

He smiles and looks away
But I still don't know the answer to this day

--K's Choice, "To This Day"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Great song lines...
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 12:07:17 am »

I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
Sucker MC's should call me sire
To burn my kingdom, you must use fire
I won't stop rockin' till I retire (Run-DMC)

The sky was just a purple bruise (Elvis Costello)

Texas is the reason that the President's dead (Misfits)

Me and my girlfriend
Don't wear no clothes you know
Her nose is painted pepper sunlight
I love her
I mean it's so so serious
As serious can be (Jane's Addiction)

(Note: I edited this, but only to remove a superfluous 'e')
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Great song lines...
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2004, 04:00:49 am »

Send lawyers, guns, and money, the shit has hit the fan.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Great song lines...
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2004, 06:05:59 am »

There's a certain girl I've been in love with a long long time

      [What's her name?]

I can't tell you [Awwwwww...]

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Great song lines...
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2004, 06:08:18 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Me and my girlfriend
Don't wear no clothes you know
Her nose is painteed pepper sunlight
I love her
I mean it's so so serious
As serious can be (Jane's Addiction)

Oh hells yes, dude. You just reminded me how awesome that song is.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Great song lines...
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2004, 10:41:21 pm »

This is your one-way ticket, don't fuck it up.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Great song lines...
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2004, 11:44:45 pm »

I'm listening to "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love," and I was just reminded of the overall awesomeness of its lyrics.

John, I've been bad, and they're coming after me
Done someone wrong, and I fear that it was me
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Great song lines...
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2004, 11:50:11 pm »

I just got a message that said "Yeah hell is freezin’ over"
I Got a phone call from the Lord sayin’ "Hey boy get a
sweater. Right now"


Everything that keeps me together is falling apart, I've got
this thing that I consider my only art of fuck*ng people over


No one really knows the ones they love
If you knew everything they thought
I bet that you'd wish that they'd just shut up
Well, you were the dull sound of sharp math
When you were alive
No ones gonna play the harp when you die
And if I had a nickel for every damn dime
I’d have half the time, do you mind?
[/i]
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Great song lines...
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2004, 09:35:56 pm »

Inaugural dispatch from Portland (self-esteem issues and identity crisis edition):

"I'm a loser" Beck
"I'm a creep" Radiohead
"I'm an asshole" Denis Leary
"I'm an alien" Bush

"You call me sweet, like I'm some kind of cheese" Queen
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Great song lines...
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2004, 10:09:18 pm »

I know further "Deep Red Bells" appreciation on this board is like playing Church of LDS commercials to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir while they're in Salt Lake City, but I still feel I should point out a great lyric from "Deep Red Bells":

it looks a lot like engine oil
and tastes like being poor and small
and popsicles in summer
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Great song lines...
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2004, 09:06:46 pm »

Haha. Have ya'll talked about how it's partially about the (recently convicted) green river murder(s)/(er)? There's that.

Some of mine:

Am I waiting for
the uncovering
of simple paths
between the branches
a flowering chance
fence slats rattling
fingers pushing through
slowing brushing past
a fast glimpse of you

"Chinese Apple"-Loose Fur
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up