Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back up  (Read 2391 times)

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 606
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Back up
« on: February 15, 2004, 05:33:39 pm »

I bought a backup drive and I want to use it to make periodic back ups of my document folders.  Do you computing geniuses have some suggestions on where I can turn to acquire the software to do this.  Freeware would be sweet, but i'll pay if I need to.

~Paul
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

• God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 145
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Back up
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 05:40:22 pm »

I use the free Windows Explorer for this. Just drag and drop the folders you want to back up.

Most backup software will stick files inside some kind of proprietary file format - not as useful as being able to unplug the backup drive and take it to a friend's house (or connect right to a new PC).

What kind of backup did you get?

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Back up
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 06:04:15 pm »

It's an ACOM.  That's what i've been doing, just backing it up by hand and you're probably right, that's the best way to go.  Thanks.

~Paul

jough

• God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 145
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Back up
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 06:24:44 pm »

It would be nice, of course, if you have many files in various sub-directories, to have a batch script (or a VB script, etc.) that you could run to back up everything you commonly back up.

Another use for an advanced copying tool would enable you to only back up files that had changed, etc, making your backup faster.

I don't know about you, but it takes me about half an hour to back up the important files on my hard drive, and I only have about 4Gb of data that's not programmes or media files (which I always burn to CD to archive).

P.S. I was asking what *kind* of backup drive it is, rather than the brand.  But I'll assume it's an external hard drive and not a CD or DVD burner, or tape, etc.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Back up
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 12:32:04 am »

Yes, sorry, it's an external hard drive.  I have a LOT of files because I've taken a ton of pictures.  My documents folder is about 25 gig.  It was running pretty fast today.  I left the house before it was complete, but it was looking like it was gonna take about an hour.

~Paul

CortJstr

• Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 337
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
    • Rarely updated random quotes
Back up
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 01:53:06 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Another use for an advanced copying tool would enable you to only back up files that had changed, etc, making your backup faster.

This is what the "one touch" Maxtor drives do in theory but I've heard complaints. I just drag the folders over occaisionally but since I only have USB 1.1 it takes a while. So lately I've been being pickier, like keeping a text file of which mp3's I've made since last back up so I don't waste time overwriting the other 3,500 when I only have 24 actual new ones.

The sad part is the files I want to archive are mainly in compressed formats already (jpg, mp3, etc) so zipping is counterproductive.

Which reminds me, don't forget to create a document that lists all your various serial numbers and registrations and stuff so it's easy to reactive your programs after a crash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up