Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A "favorites" question with more specifity  (Read 12900 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 01:18:06 am »

Apparently the year of my birth was a musical wasteland.
However, I spent some time looking up bands that I like that were around at the time of my illustrius entry into this world, and I finally found my three albums.  This was a lot of work, so I'm not even going to try the other questions, although I do hang my head in shame
Ok.....

Sonic Youth, EVOL
Yo La Tengo,  Ride the Tiger
The Smiths, The Queen is Dead

Yep..... the year was 1986.  I'm a young'un.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 02:54:30 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"

The Smiths, The Queen is Dead

Yep..... the year was 1986.  I'm a young'un.


Good call on the Smiths.

'86 wasn't a bad year for music:

Bruce Hornsby and the Range "The Way It Is"
Cinderella "Night Songs" (like you didn't own a copy of this album)
Beastie Boys "License To Ill"
Dead Kennedys "Bedtime For Democracy" (sadly their last)
Joe Jackson "Big World"
Billy Joel "The Bridge"
Huey Lewis and the News "Fore!"
Madonna "True Blue" (don't pretend you don't like this album)
Metallica "Master of Puppets"
New World Order "Bizarre Love Triangle"
R.E.M. "Life's Rich Pageant"
Paul Simon "Graceland"
Top Gun Soundtrack

Now I feel old, though.  I owned all of those on vinyl.

Do you kids even know what vinyl record albums are?

-- jough

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2003, 03:00:45 am »

Quote from: "jough"
This last one is hard.  Music in the past three years has really sucked.

Radiohead "Kid A" (2000)
The Strokes "Is this it?" (2001)
The Hives "Veni Vidi Vicious" (2001)

Runners Up:
Radiohead "Hail to the Thief" (2003)
White Stripes "White Blood Cells" (2001)
Beck "Sea Change" (2002)
Nine Inch Nails "And All That Could Have Been" (2002 - best of)
Nirvana "Nirvana" (2002 - best of)
Belle & Sebastian "Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant" (2000)

This sort of made me sad (the "really sucked" part). I noticed a few years ago that most of the music in my collection was the stuff I listened to in high school, i.e. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Judas Priest . . . well, I won't continue. But I've been trying lately to find new music that is somewhere near as good as that was, and I'm really enjoying the experiment. So, all these folks released good stuff (I think) in the last few years:

Beck, White Stripes, Strokes, Vines, Hives, New Pornographers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nickel Creek, Ryan Adams, Green Day, Radiohead, Libertines, Queens of the Stone Age, Kills, Modest penis, Godspeed You Black Emperor, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Rage Against the Machine, Outkast, Fugazi, Clutch, and The Hunches.

And then there's stuff like Sigur Ros, Super Furry Animals, Liars, and Pretty Girls Make Graves, which I'm sure are dope, I just haven't gotten around to listening to them yet.

Sorry to get all I don't know what, but I just wanted to throw some stuff out there and I appreciate other folks turning me on to new stuff, so thanks.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2003, 03:37:01 am »

Birth year only:

1965:

The Beatles -- Rubber Soul
Bob Dylan -- Highway 61 Revisited
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention -- Freak Out

I'm not answering the best year ever because it would require some research (and thus effort) on my part, but based on Jough's list, 1969 looks pretty damn good.

I'm not answering the last 3.5 years part because I don't know that I could name three albums that came out in that time period.  God, I suck.

Anyway Jough, glad to see Burnt Weeny Sandwich on your list.  This is one of my all-time fav-o-rite albums.  It's one (along with Hot Rats) I play for people who don't think they like Zappa.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2003, 04:25:56 am »

I'm really a little too lazy to chime in on all the research-based questions at the moment, but I do have answers for the three underrated obscure albums:

Moxy Fruvous, You Will Go To the Moon
Radio Iodine, Tiny Warnings
Thomas Dolby, Aliens Ate My Buick
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2003, 03:48:02 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

'86 wasn't a bad year for music:

Beastie Boys "License To Ill"
Dead Kennedys "Bedtime For Democracy" (sadly their last)
Paul Simon "Graceland"

Do you kids even know what vinyl record albums are?

-- jough


Yea, those three put together a remarkably good 80's year. Though 1989 with NIN - Pretty hate Machine and Nirvana - Bleach kind of sways me to that...

And vinyls... those be them big cd's right?
Hell I'd still be listening to them if my asshole ex's brother hadn't destroyed my deck ::sobs::
(things like - Mudhoney - SuperFuzzBigMuff and my Mothers of Invention live LP's would get some play)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Capn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2003, 05:29:25 pm »

1975
Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
Leonard Cohen, Best Of Leonard Cohen (do not mock me for putting a "Best Of" on my list, or it will come back to you).

Best Year Evah - too much work

Best Since 2000
Tom Waits, Blood Money
Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head
Radiohead, Kid A
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
specificity
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2003, 08:08:30 pm »

Birth year (1967)
       The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
       Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
       The Velvet Underground and Nico


   Favorite year (1991)

        Nirvana - Nevermind
        Smashing Pumpkins - gish
        Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

        not to mention:

        My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
        Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
        Pearl Jam - Ten
        Pixies - Trompe le Monde
        Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91: The Enemy Strikes Black
        Red Hot Chili Peppers - Bloodsugarsexmagik
        R.E.M. - Out of Time
        Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
        U2 - Achtung Baby
       

        Past 3.5 years?  Sigh.  I'm so damn old.

        Flaming Lips - Yoshimi vs. the Pink *****s
        High On Fire - The Art of Self Defense
        Smashing Pumpkins - Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
specificity too
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2003, 08:21:01 pm »

oh, and three underrated albums:

    Yes - Drama
         
    Peter Gabriel - Up

    R.E.M.  - Up
 
    The temptation to put Shania Twain's Up on the list just so I could have an entire list of Ups was outweighed by the fact that I've never heard it.  Such is life.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: specificity
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 08:42:18 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
       Past 3.5 years?  Sigh.  I'm so damn old.

        Flaming Lips - Yoshimi vs. the Pink *****s
        High On Fire - The Art of Self Defense
        Smashing Pumpkins - Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music



Fowl! Non-traditional release on the field. 5 yard penalty, 2nd down.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: specificity
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2003, 09:03:26 pm »

Quote
Fowl! Non-traditional release on the field. 5 yard penalty, 2nd down.


   Oh, for Christ's sake. OK, fine.  To un-"fowl" myself, then:

         Los Lobos - Good Morning Aztlan
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2003, 09:13:07 pm »

OK, let me add Radio Tarifa - Cruzando El Rio, and maybe Gotan Project - La Revencha Del Tango.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
specificity three ( or is it four? )
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2003, 09:20:49 pm »

Top three "non-traditional" albums?  Glad you asked.

    Smashing Pumpkins - Machina II: Friends and Enemies....
 
    Neil Young - Chrome Dreams

    Prince - Chocolate Box
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2003, 03:43:29 am »

Hey Slink, which live Mothers of Invention albums are you talking about?

I've got Live at the Fillmore East and Just Another Band from LA.  

Flo and Eddie.  Heh heh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2003, 03:51:04 am »

All that and more, INCLUDING an electric cooled pony harness, with fuel injection, fuel injection, fuel injection...

The Mothers at the Fillmore East is one of the best live albums of all time.

And did you know that John and Yoko were sitting in on those sessions, too?

And of course that Flo and Eddie were the two guys from the Turtles, which makes their "Happy Together" all the more sinister.

-- Jough
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up