Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A "favorites" question with more specifity  (Read 12888 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« on: August 05, 2003, 02:23:07 am »

What are your three favorite albums from your birth year, the best trio of albums from any year, and the trifecta from the last 3.5 years (i.e. the years starting with 200X.) And don't wrack your brains too much - just off the top of your head is fine.

Birth year (1968): Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland", Johnny Cash "at Folsom Prison", and Rolling Stones, "Beggars Banquet"

Best trio (1977): Television "Marquee Moon", Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bollocks", and Steely Dan "Aja"

The 00s: Ryan Adams, "Gold", Nickel Creek "Nickel Creek", and White Stripes, "White Blood Cells"

Note: I suppose a good case could be made for any trio, but the birth of punk was enticing, expecially to put Steely Dan as counterpoint to The Pistols, and then with Television representing the whole NYC CBGB's thing. Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm interested in what others have to say because I'm always looking to listen to music that other folks are passionate about. Shit, I had another idea . . . 3 underrated albums that more people should know about:

Split Enz "True Colours", Stanley Clarke/George Duke "The Clarke/Duke Project", Brad "Shame"

OK, I'm going now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 03:14:27 am »

To ease your burden, a nice music search site.  

http://www.roadkill.com/MDB/searching.phtml

Anybody have a better one?   [/url]
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 03:22:14 am »

Birth Year (1979):

Led Zeppelin, In Through the Out Door
The Clash, London Calling
Pink Floyd, The Wall

First runner-up: Foreigner, Head Games

Dang.  '79 was a big year for rock albums.  No question.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 04:00:39 am »

I'm such an old man I was born in the era of singles.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 04:01:04 am »

Birth Year (1976):

Parliament "Mothership Connection"
Led Zeppelin "The Song Remains the Same"
Lou Reed "Rock and Roll Heart"

Runners-Up:
Bob Marley "Rastaman Vibration"
Eagles "Hotel California"
Iggy Pop "Lust For Life"
Queen "A Day at the Races"
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "[Eponymous]"

Best Year Ever (1969):
Beatles "Abbey Road"
Velvet Underground "The Velvet Underground"
Miles Davis "Bitches Brew"

Runners-Up:
The Who "Tommy"
Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde"
Chicago "Chicago Transit Authority"
The Doors "The Soft Parade"
Jefferson Airplane "Volunteers"
Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin II"
Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed"
Sly & The Family Stone "Stand!"
The Stooges "The Stooges"
The Mothers "Burnt Weenie Sandwich"
Santana "Santana" (debut)

This last one is hard.  Music in the past three years has really sucked.

Radiohead "Kid A" (2000)
The Strokes "Is this it?" (2001)
The Hives "Veni Vidi Vicious" (2001)

Runners Up:
Radiohead "Hail to the Thief" (2003)
White Stripes "White Blood Cells" (2001)
Beck "Sea Change" (2002)
Nine Inch Nails "And All That Could Have Been" (2002 - best of)
Nirvana "Nirvana" (2002 - best of)
Belle & Sebastian "Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant" (2000)

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 04:02:37 am »

Quote
Dang. '79 was a big year for rock albums. No question.


That would be my Senior Year.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 04:05:54 am »

Last 3 Years:
2003- Dixie Chicks Home
2002- Beck Sea Change
2001- Radiohead Live Recordings "I Might Be Wrong EP"

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 06:20:35 am »

Birth year (1981)

The Cars-Shake it Up
Elvis Costello-Trust
The Cure-Faith

Best year (1977)

Elvis Costello-My Aim is True
Bob Marley-Exodus
Neil Young-Decade

And the since '00
Bright Eyes-Lifted or the story is in the soil, put your ear to the ground (2002)
The Weakerthans-Left and Leaving (2000)
Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002)

as for 3 underrated albums everyone should know about.....
the Weakerthans-Left and Leaving
Cub Country- High Uinta High
Braid Movie Music vol. 1 and 2 (2000)
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 10:13:56 am »

Well, I can do last three years off the top of my head...
Damn no I can't.
erm,
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Tweaker - The Attraction to All Things Uncertain
Jerry Cantrell - Degredation Trip
possibly as Jough - And All the Could Have Been, mainly for the bonus CD Still, cos I'd rather have the normal albums in that the live, but Still us wonderful!
maybe, I can never decide favourites!

Oh, and I don't know that I could find one album I listen to from the year I was born. Goddamnit!
One Clash album, but not even a great one at that. That's all I could find anywhere near worthwhile.
Aaaah - Bad Religion, Meat Puppets (eponymous) and Husker Du.
Crap decade though.

Finest year would probably be somewhere in the late 60's to mid 70's as with most people.

UBL excellent band search including by year, though it's not by any means it's best feature, cross searching producers and things is though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 04:39:57 pm »

I've been wondering about degradation trip because I have boggy depot and it's pretty sweet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 04:45:37 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I've been wondering about degradation trip because I have boggy depot and it's pretty sweet.


It's really good. Especially if you get the newer released and as intended double disc version. It's a very mood based album I find, though I always think it's great, but you know, has to be come to in the right mood to sit through the 2 hours.
If you liked Boggy Depot I would highly recommend it though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 05:33:34 pm »

Birth Year (1973):
Brian Eno-Here Come the Warm Jets
The Residents-Meet the Residents
Tom Waits-Closing Time (not actually that good, but his first and therefore seminal and such like)

Trio (1993)

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion-Extra Width
Royal Trux-Cats and Dogs
The Gibson Bros.-Memphis Sol Today!

(Damn, that was a good year. They don't make years like that anymore.)

00s

Manu Chao-Clandestino
Drawing a blank (mainly listening to older stuff lately).
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 05:39:00 pm »

Quote from: "Tail,Pink,Stainless"

Tom Waits-Closing Time (not actually that good, but his first and therefore seminal and such like)

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion-Extra Width


Just for having those two in your list!!
I've been sat here thinking, wow, it would have to be, erm, oh whichever '70 it was that Nighthawks at the Diner was released since I think that's my favorite Waits in a  lot of ways. Just an album where I wish I could have been there every time I listen to it. Also the album that has inspired an entire chapter of my novel, and created the flow between chapters too.
I'm also always tempted to fit Boss Hog into a favorites, since it's well, Jon Spencer with his (utterly gorgeous) wife singing, and are superb.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 05:51:51 pm »

Oh yes, Boss Hog indeed, thank you. The overlooked (even by me) White Out (2000), there's a second one for the 00s. Still need a third: maybe The Avalanches' Since I left you(2001)? Feels like a cop-out...
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A "favorites" question with more specifity
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 06:33:14 pm »

I of course forgot for the '0x's that there's the new Mark Lanegan coming out imminently, which I'm sure by his past record will leap to the top. (Finally got to see him live, he was with QotSA this summer in the UK, so my mom hates me cos she's in love with him!)
And if it has to be already out, I'd probably bump NIN - Still off for Field Songs which I think was 2001. Much as I love NIN and all...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up