Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45722 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« on: February 17, 2004, 04:12:38 pm »

Currently, I'm reading Illywhacker (quiet you!), by Peter Carey, apparently one of the best writers to come out of Australia (which, coupled with 50 cents, will buy you a cup of coffee). It's pretty good. Next up: John Dos Passos "American Trilogy."
What about you cats?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 04:21:52 pm »

Rereading Neuromancer right now, by tonight I'll be onto rereading Pashazade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood, so that I can go onto Effendi, it's sequel, and then Fellaheen when it comes out in paperback.
I also have some more Murakami to read, Pattern Recognition - the latest Gibson, and Hey Nostradamus - the last Coupland book.

I feel like I need to read Diamond Age again, by Neal Stephenson, given it's one of my favourite books - the language in it being stunning, but I have so much else to read. And I need to reread Fouc*ult's Pendulum too. Here's hoping nothing new that I need read comes out. Crap though I have, erm, oh damn the latest Stephenson to read too, but I forget it's name.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:09:58 pm »

Ah, Fouc*ult's Pendulum.  What a great book.  The Davinci Code isn't fit to share the planet with it.

Back on topic, I just finished :)'s People which I had read long ago. Enjoyed it even more the second time. LeCarre is a writer who transcends his genre. His characterizations are brilliant.

I'm in the middle of Claudius the God which is wonderful. I'd been looking for a copy in my used bookstore haunts and finally found one. Good stuff.

Also picked up My Three Years with Eisenhower by Capt. Harry Butcher. Butcher was a personal friend of Ike's who served as his naval aide throughout WWII. He kept a daily diary of Eisenhower's activities, both personal and official, through the war. Fascinating stuff. A re-read, but this is a good one to pick up and browse through.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 05:10:23 pm »

Chuck Klosterman's Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, which is a hoot.

Next up, a non-hoot: Erich Auerbach's Mimesis.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 05:23:34 pm »

Concurrently: The Fall, by Camus, and Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris - both oh so good and quotable, in wildly different ways.

Later, for not thinking, I have a couple of Donald E. Westlake books, and the last two Ender books by Orson Scott Card. Also, Be Cool, by Elmore Leonard. I like to not think too much when reading sometimes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 05:41:08 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, Be Cool, by Elmore Leonard. I like to not think too much when reading sometimes.
Yeah, I always bust out the Leonard when I just want something fun and good.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 05:44:53 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Later, for not thinking, I have a couple of Donald E. Westlake books,


Which ones, I love Westlake -- great stuff.  I'm also a big fan of Lawrence Sanders.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 06:00:00 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Which ones, I love Westlake -- great stuff.  I'm also a big fan of Lawrence Sanders.

Right now, "Help, I am Being Held Prisoner" and "Smoke" - I like Lawrence Sanders, too, but have read all of his stuff and am a little upset about his publisher sending out the vultures to pick on his corpse.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 06:48:24 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Crap though I have, erm, oh damn the latest Stephenson to read too, but I forget it's name.


Cryptonomicon?  Eeeexcellent.  

Sounds like Slink and I have the same taste in fiction...

I'm reading a book of Asimov mysteries a friend gave me as I unwind in the evenings, but I've just bought a copy of Health Care Meltdown by Robert LeBow, which explains why US Healthcare sucks ass.  It's sort of a passion of mine.  When I'm done with that, I'll probably read Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins, which I got for my birthday.  And I'm reading a friend's screenplay in my spare time, which is copious these days.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 06:58:10 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Cryptonomicon?  Eeeexcellent.  


Not the one I was thinking of, though it's superb. I was talking of... Quicksilver. Bingo.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 07:21:44 pm »

I'm in the middle of Speaker for the Dead by OSC, which I am not enjoying as much as Ender's Game, and Fraud by David Rakoff, the poor man's David Sedaris.  It will most likely be my first and last David Rakoff book.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 07:43:15 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
I'm in the middle of Speaker for the Dead by OSC, which I am not enjoying as much as Ender's Game, and Fraud by David Rakoff, the poor man's David Sedaris.  It will most likely be my first and last David Rakoff book.


Warning: The series goes waaaay downhill (IMHO, of course) after Speaker.  The characters are less compelling after they grow up.  

As a side note, my former roommate's Mom goes to the same Temple as OSC.  She's friends with his wife.  It's neat.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 08:02:44 pm »

I've been working my way through Robert Burton’s The Anatomy of Melancholy for a while now, and just started up with Updike's Rabbit Redux, but I'm having a hell of a time with it, because I already hate Rabbit so much. Maybe I'll give it a miss and go back to Evelyn Waugh (just finished Decline and Fall a week or so ago, and I still have Vile Bodies and Black Mischief waiting around).
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 08:02:58 pm »

I was put off of OSC by Lost Boys (if I'm remembering the title right) -- a modern-era horror/suspense thing which implied that playing D&D made you a pedophile and featured the worst semantic debate in the history of literature. I should try the Ender books, but sooo much inertia.

Right now I'm mostly doing class-related reading -- Paco Underhill's Why We Buy and Rachel Bowlby's Carried Away, for a class on the sacrality of shopping in modern America. Fairly interesting stuff, really; Underhill's is far more about consumer psychology, while Bowlby focuses on the anthropological approach.

Other than that, it's primarily been the two American Splendor collections I got for Christmas. Harvey Pekar is some sort of bodhisattva, I'm pretty sure.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 08:50:40 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Harvey Pekar is some sort of bodhisattva, I'm pretty sure.

Best gift I've ever given: this year, for my brother's birthday, I gave him a signed copy of the American Splendor DVD. I actually shook hands with Harvey Pekar, and was UNABLE TO SPEAK to him. This means that Harvey Pekar makes me more speechless than BRUCE CAMPBELL.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up