Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45975 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2005, 02:20:48 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I don't think my post x-mas reading list has been as intellectual as some mentioned here.  I've already read my way through Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for the Food.

That is a fun book. The scampi and ramen radiator are the only recipes I've actually tried, though.

Apparently now there's a sequel, I'm Just Here for More Food.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2005, 03:31:21 pm »

I think the only recipe in Alton Brown that I've actually made is the chili.  It was complicated but good. I then improvised something that was halfway between that and the chili in the Achewood cookbook.  It was sublime, but of course I can't recreate it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2005, 05:50:18 pm »

I had chili last night made from shredded potatoes and carrots. It was ridiculously good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2005, 05:53:43 pm »

Isn't shredded potatoes and carrots just hash browns with carrots in them?

How is that chili?

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2005, 06:16:37 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Isn't shredded potatoes and carrots just hash browns with carrots in them?

How is that chili?


My S.O. made a vegetarian chili a couple weeks ago that used sweet potatoes.  The sweet potatoes fell apart and really thickened the soup, giving it a nice chili consistency.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2005, 06:25:55 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Nabu, I think that requires a recipe thread 'cause I'm interested but confused.


I got your back, Asher - give me a little bit of time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

monkeybutter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2005, 07:11:08 pm »

I'm trying to get thru the classics I should have read a long time ago- 1984, Animal Farm and The Catcher in the Rye down, reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley at the mo, countless more to go... One good thing bout being ill is spending some quality time curled up in bed reading a good book n having a smoke  :)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2005, 12:39:09 am »

Who the Hell is in charge up in this bitch? Why is this in History? I was looking for this all over the damn place.


I'm reading "The Tetherballs of Bouganville". It's stupidly funny.

Edit: To me, the correct spelling of words is not optional.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2005, 12:40:29 am »

Ooh, "Tetherballs!" I may have to go on a Mark Leyer binge again -- the last time, sadly enough, was eighth grade, and my attention span was pretty low. It is to weep.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2005, 12:42:49 am »

Leyner hasn't had a new book out since Tetherballs, which I think came out in '97 or '98.   He wrote a monthly column for Esquire for awhile and none of them have been collected into a volume yet either.

WTF?  Team Leyner cannot be allowed to die.  If ever a man's work deserved a message board it's Leyner's.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2005, 12:43:59 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Who the Hell is in charger up in this bitch? Why is this in History? I was looking for this all over the damn place.


I'm reading "The Tetherballs of Bouganville". It's stupidly funny.

It was started before the Trivial Pursuit category redesign. Back then History was The Study which did make sense. A mod could move it to A&E.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2005, 12:50:49 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Leyner hasn't had a new book out since Tetherballs, which I think came out in '97 or '98.   He wrote a monthly column for Esquire for awhile and none of them have been collected into a volume yet either.

WTF?  Team Leyner cannot be allowed to die.  If ever a man's work deserved a message board it's Leyner's.


Damn, I haven't read any Leyner in years.  I'd not heard of The Tetherballs of Bougainville before.  I'll have to track that down.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2005, 12:51:10 am »

I started on "My Cousin" but that kind of writing makes me tired. I'll try again after I finish the other. I've got to say, though, that his writing is sort of . . . easy, I guess is the word I want. I mean, I can see how he did it. I don't know how to explain it. I guess I'd have to say that if I were a writer I'd write like that. Not because I would be shooting for that, but because I think that's the kind that would be easiest for me. And that's not to say that I think it would be easy to write a book as fun as that one. I just can see myself writing a book like that long before I can see myself writing "Blood Meridian" or something.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2005, 01:48:35 am »

Moved to A&E by request.

Man, on the subject of Blood Meridian -- I recently read BR Myers's A Reader's Manifesto, a manifesto (dull surprise!) about the many flaws of modern "literary" prose -- more specifically, its surface-level over-ornamentation and obfuscation that often covers up a dreadful lack of any kind of meaningful, challenging content. Myers discussed Cormac McCarthy at great length, to my satisfaction, because I have always found McCarthy's prose ugly and nearly unreadable. FIGURE OUT WHEN TO END A SENTENCE, DUDE. IT IS NOT HARD.

(Apologies to McCarthy fans, but jesus. I will, however, freely confess that some of this bitterness may be because my hateful tenth-grade English teacher loved McCarthy above virtually all else, so... yeah, festering hatred.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2005, 02:59:29 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
that kind of writing makes me tired.


Wow, this is possibly the worst criticism I can imagine.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22   Go Up