Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45811 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2005, 09:33:27 pm »

Read & loved Life of Pi awhile ago (and yes, the ending is weird), read A Curious Incident over break, and also loved it (I used to babysit an autistic kid, and have a few Aspergers symptoms myself), and I worked my way through Quicksilver last month, which, despite its length and dry passages, kept me reading.

Now I'm in the midst of Fraud by David Rackoff, which is hilarious. Next is either Jonathan Strange or Infinite Jest, unless I read a Terry Prachett novel first.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2005, 09:42:16 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
I worked my way through Quicksilver last month, which, despite its length and dry passages, kept me reading.

It took me almost 2 months to read Quicksilver but about 3 weeks to read Confusion (I'm only halfway, so I'm projecting here). Maybe it's just because I can keep the various Dukes &c straight now.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2005, 12:16:23 am »

Quote from: "slink"
I started reading Fray the other day. Comic book that Joss Whedon did a while back. It's really good. I've been getting the Astonishing X-Men run that he's doing at the moment, which has been damned good so far.


Yeah, his stuff is really good. I never really got into Buffy, but if he writes this well normally, SHOOOO JESUS.

If anyone wants to dip their toe into good comic writing, check out anything by Bendis. He is AWESOME.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2005, 12:24:43 am »

I did just read "Stuck Rubber Baby". The blurb implied it was as good as "Maus" but I didn't think so. Interesting sidelight - it was only like 6 hours after I finished it that I finally got the title. So not only am I the creepy guy, I'm also the sort of oblivious guy as well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2005, 08:42:28 pm »

I finished "Life of Pi". I thought the ending was actually pretty good, considering I had to deal with the two blind buys having their lifeboats bump into each other in the middle of the Pacific, and also that crazy island. I thought the ending was sort of a breath of fresh, realistic air. I didn't mind starting with the animals in the boat, but I can't be expected to suspend all my disbelief and still view the book in the same way. It's like it turns into a Narnia book otherwise, and I expect to see populations of people that hop around on one giant leg.

As an aside, somebody gave this book to my wife because her first name is Pi.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2005, 08:49:52 pm »

Your wife's first name is Pi?  That's not a nick name or anything?

That is awesome.  Do you call her 3.14159 for kicks?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2005, 08:50:16 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

If anyone wants to dip their toe into good comic writing, check out anything by Bendis. He is AWESOME.


Yea. I'm getting Powers at the moment, since I never got round to it before.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2005, 08:51:39 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Your wife's first name is Pi?  That's not a nick name or anything?

That is awesome.  Do you call her 3.14159 for kicks?


No. But she does celebrate her birthday on March 14th.

She'll be 90 this year!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2005, 08:52:38 pm »

I felt like Life of Pi ended like the kind of story you write when you're eight years old - writing yourself into some fantastic situation that you can't think of a way out of and giving up and saying 'it was all a dream.'

My friend thought it was all brilliant and ambiguous and that you really didn't know which was the truth.  Me, I just felt ripped off.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Skillator

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2005, 08:53:46 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I had to deal with the two blind buys having their lifeboats bump into each other in the middle of the Pacific, and also that crazy island.


In that light you could make anything seem stupid. But yeah, now that you mention it, two blind guys bumping into eachother in the pacific is fucked.
For me I found the ending to be a choice of what you want to believe. At this point you are so comitted to the character and his story you just want to believe the one he told you. SURE! You did survive on a boat with a tiger and that Island that tried to eat you was an asshole.
He tells these crazy stories in such a convincing way you wonder what Pi Partel and Yann Martel have in common. Besides the obvious: their last names.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2005, 09:25:24 pm »

I'm rather disappointed that Nabu's wife isn't actually named "Pi." I had a glorious image for a moment of Nabu and Pi, the best sitcom ever released on the planet Zoborf.

(Also, this thread is sort of making me want to read Life of Pi.)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2005, 09:30:37 pm »

I'm sorry, V. I didn't make that post very clear. My wife is HELL OF named Pi. It's only that simple.

So, even though I haven't met so many cool people as the rest of you, I guess my coolness just skyrocketed, due to being married to a woman named Pi, eh?

My no was in response to Jough's question about whether I call her 3.14~etc.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2005, 09:39:26 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
My wife is HELL OF named Pi.


When come back, bring her.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2005, 09:53:27 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm sorry, V. I didn't make that post very clear. My wife is HELL OF named Pi. It's only that simple.

This is the 2nd coolest name I've ever encountered.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2005, 10:01:05 pm »

I'm waiting, CJ . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Up